Tort scraping shell

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR
IMG_5607.JPG image.jpg My problem child, Pops the Russian tort is causing me more grief. He has taken to burrowing under anything and everything in his outdoor enclosure which would be fine but he's doing a lot of damage to the top of his shell by scraping it on the rocks, concrete blocks and large chunks of wood that he likes to hide and sleep under. He has lots of other hides and plenty of deep shade but he prefers these shallow burrows. Is there something I can put on his shell to prevent further damage? I'm thinking about epoxy maybe. Could this become a health hazard if it continues? Will he eventually do real harm? It's hard to tell from the photo but there is a pretty deep gouge.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wood should not damage the shell. You can cover the ceilings of each of these areas with some plywood cut to size and glued with GE Silicone 1. Other than that, some wear and tear is normal.

Definitely don't cover the shell with epoxy. That would be bad. Cover the offending abrasive surfaces in the enclosure instead.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Wood should not damage the shell. You can cover the ceilings of each of these areas with some plywood cut to size and glued with GE Silicone 1. Other than that, some wear and tear is normal.

Definitely don't cover the shell with epoxy. That would be bad. Cover the offending abrasive surfaces in the enclosure instead.
Sounds like a solid plan. Thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I had the prettiest female russian - medium sized, perfect shape and shell in excellent condition. After living in my Russian yard (in the wild) for several weeks she is no longer pristine. I guess the only way to keep them perfect-looking is indoors in climate controlled and smooth conditions.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
IMG_5654.JPG IMG_5655.JPG I don't mind him looking rough and tumble. It fits his personality anyway. Just as long as I'm not dealing with open wounds down the road!
I did as Tom suggested and he has inspected and approves :)
Thanks all!