Tort shell rot (plastron)

Meesh

Location (City and/or State)
BRUNSWICK
I bought a Hermann's tortoise recently from the pet store. He was half off bc he has 2 "gouges" holes forming on his plastron. I have 4 other healthy torts, I've never dealt with any kind of shell issues.. I have tried betadine, Silver x, (which takes care of both fungal & bacterial), & Triple antibiotic ointment (Which seems to work the best) I've made him a vet appt but it's 2 weeks away. He seems fine, walks normal, eating/drinking normal but I dont want it to get any worse. I'm curious if anyone has dealt with this & had any luck with any otc products or even home remedies that i haven't been trying? He's such a sweet boy It breaks my heart to think he may be in pain. Again, I have tried betadine liquid & spray powder, Silver x, & Triple antibiotic ointment. Thanks!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I bought a Hermann's tortoise recently from the pet store. He was half off bc he has 2 "gouges" holes forming on his plastron. I have 4 other healthy torts, I've never dealt with any kind of shell issues.. I have tried betadine, Silver x, (which takes care of both fungal & bacterial), & Triple antibiotic ointment (Which seems to work the best) I've made him a vet appt but it's 2 weeks away. He seems fine, walks normal, eating/drinking normal but I dont want it to get any worse. I'm curious if anyone has dealt with this & had any luck with any otc products or even home remedies that i haven't been trying? He's such a sweet boy It breaks my heart to think he may be in pain. Again, I have tried betadine liquid & spray powder, Silver x, & Triple antibiotic ointment. Thanks!
Gonna need to see photos

Meesh

BRUNSWICK
Can see a little better in this one. Theres never been any kind of odor or discharge of any kind

Attachments

• 20211013_114643.jpg
    20211013_114643.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 55

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I'd buy a tube of athlete's foot cream, dollar store stuff is fine, and rub a little bit over the whole shell twice, a few days apart.

I think that should take care of things.

Jamie

Meesh

BRUNSWICK
The areas are symmetrical. Like rub marks.
However, the great thing about the athletes foot cream is that it quickly kills fungus. And if it isn't fungus, it does no harm to use it anyway.
The pictures might not be doing it justice. Something is eating away at him. I wish it were rub marks.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
The areas are symmetrical. Like rub marks.
However, the great thing about the athletes foot cream is that it quickly kills fungus. And if it isn't fungus, it does no harm to use it anyway.
I agree that the infection is secondary to some kind of abrasive damage...walking on concrete, etc..

The pictures might not be doing it justice. Something is eating away at him. I wish it were rub marks.
Treatment of the infection has to be accompanied by correction to the surfaces the plastron is rubbing on.

Meesh

BRUNSWICK
I agree that the infection is secondary to some kind of abrasive damage...walking on concrete, etc..

Treatment of the infection has to be accompanied by correction to the surfaces the plastron is rubbing

Treatment of the infection has to be accompanied by correction to the surfaces the plastron is rubbing on.
Nope, the infection was first. I guess you'd have to see him. Dealing with a fungal infection, little pieces of their shell flake off. He gets it caught on some things and rips tiny pieces off. It is not rubbing & no he absolutely does not have access to concrete lol..

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Nope, the infection was first. I guess you'd have to see him. Dealing with a fungal infection, little pieces of their shell flake off. He gets it caught on some things and rips tiny pieces off. It is not rubbing & no he absolutely does not have access to concrete lol..
My eyes are just not sharp enough on my tiny phone.
The Athletes foot cream will kill the fungus before it has a chance to develop into a more serious problem like actual shell rot.
So, either way, just treat it.
It's a rare case of win-win.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club

In my outdoor group, I've seen fungus start at the site of a previous injury.
That seems prone to fungal infections if it has also been very wet.
What I rarely see is random fungal infections that look almost like mirror images, side to side.
Those are why I guessed that it was an abrasion.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
It was just a theory based on my almost yearly battle with fungus in my group.
At least one of mine needs assistance during the rainy seasons.
Redfoot LOVE to sleep in mud puddles.

Meesh

BRUNSWICK
It was just a theory based on my almost yearly battle with fungus in my group.
At least one of mine needs assistance during the rainy seasons.
Redfoot LOVE to sleep in mud puddles.
Yeah this did start up after a summer outside. Id always find him burrowed under some "wettish" leaves. They'd be wet alot of the time from the morning dew or w.e so that makes sense. When it was getting too cold & I brought him in is when I noticed the holes start forming. Thanks for all the feedback everyone. It was very helpful.