Tortoise age!?!

Tom pike

When I bought my sulcata a month ago I was told he was 1 year old but After seeing some photos on here it doesn't look like Walter is 1, would anyone be able to give me a rough estimate? Here is Walter ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1416930993.371012.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1416931076.361028.jpg

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Hard to tell with out a hatch date and if he was started dry that would slow growth down a lot....I would guess a few months

Tom pike

Alright thanks what do you mean when you say started off dry? Is that dry food? Sorry I'm still learning all the things about tortoises

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Dry conditions. No soaks, no water dish and no humidity in the tank.

mitsymoo0309

He is very small with only, from what I can see, 1 new scute so I am guessing about 4-6 months! Could you send a pic from above of his shell x

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He is small for a year, and doesn't show much growth between the scutes, but this could be because he hasn't been kept in the correct conditions. Now that YOU have him, and can set him up according to the way we suggest in the 'pinned' threads at the top of the Sulcata section, he's going to take of and grow to be the monster that we all know and love!!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Really need the hatchling date to tell the age. Otherwise only a estimate. Sibling can grow in different rate under the same condition also.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Agreed, you don't know without the hatch date. He could have grown slower or faster based on how much food access he had. But he is kind of small, though keep him humid and well fed, and that will change.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum! Your tortoise is really cute....take good care of it and good luck.

Tom pike

Just had an email back from the pet shop and he is 4 months old! Thanks everyone for the help

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Just had an email back from the pet shop and he is 4 months old! Thanks everyone for the help
Unless they know the hatching date, they don't know either. Maybe they do have it, but I would not assume that any pet store information was accurate.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Unless they know the hatching date, they don't know either. Maybe they do have it, but I would not assume that any pet store information was accurate.
Do you mean that theirs (pet shops) is guess work in such cases?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Do you mean that theirs (pet shops) is guess work in such cases?
Sometimes they lie rather than say they don't know. There have been many instances of pet stores telling people that the RTs they sell are captive bred hatchlings when they are adult and wild caught. Seems to be a stock answer or script. No one can do anything but guess at age unless the hatching date is known. Growth rates vary.