Tortoise and turtle help!

viva

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
minnesota, usa
I am temporarily taking care of a red bellied cooter but I also have a russian tortoise. I know turtles and tortoises aren't supposed to "hang out" due to bacteria and such but how far away should I keep their enclosures from each other? And do you have any advice on how to make this turtle happy?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think you have anything to worry about with the different species. They are in separate habitats, right? They can sit right next to each other and not be harmful.

Why do you think the water turtle isn't happy? What is he doing? He needs a light shining over his docking area, water at about 70 to 75F degrees, live food plus pellet food, and maybe the odd vegetable occasionally. If he is constantly scrabbling at the glass and acting like he wants to escape, he's just trying to fool you into thinking he's starving to death. They're great at that.

viva

5 Year Member
minnesota, usa
Okay, thank you! Yes, they are in separate habitats.

He's extremely scared and was really dirty (so was the tank) when we first got him. Obviously, he wasn't taken care of really well before. He's scared when I get near him and never stops squirming. I just want him to be happy in his temporary home until we find someone to take him in. Thank you for the advice, too!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It just takes time. He'll eventually learn that you mean him no harm and that when he sees you he gets fed.

viva

5 Year Member
minnesota, usa
I've also noticed that he is extremely underweight. I really hope he starts to eat soon!:)