Tortoise Asleep All The Time

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi everyone.

Need help: my tort is sleeping 24 hours a day, despite the fact that the weather is relatively warm these days in Jordan. Even during extremely cold weather and snowstorms, he did not "behave" like this. I am obliged to wake him up, give him a soak and feed him. Once he eats he crawls to his favourite corner and falls asleep.

Is this normal behaviour for a tortoise during Summer? The issue is worrying me.

Suggestions and advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks you.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi there. You said "a tortoise". But please remind us of what species this is, and give us some pics and more info on his husbandry and habitat.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi there. You said "a tortoise". But please remind us of what species this is, and give us some pics and more info on his husbandry and habitat.
A Greek tortoise.
I'll try to post some pics soon.

Thanks.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
1651769393267.png

@TammyJ , here's a pic of my tortoise.

As far as his diet is concerned, well, he eats lettuce (his favourite) and mazuri. I've had him for almost ten years, and I do not remember his having behaved like this in warm weather.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
1651774219187.png

Here's another pic of my tort whilst relaxing in his enclosure.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I have no idea what the problem could be. But maybe I would just make sure he was comfortable as far as I could tell, then leave him to sleep and not wake him and just wait and see.

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
It could be possible that the enclosure is too warm if you also have a basking spot set up. It would be worth checking temperatures just to ensure the enclosure isn’t too warm, as tortoises will attempt to retreat to a cooler place if they are too warm.

Are there any obvious signs of parasites if you do wake them up? Here are some signs of a heavy parasite load:
  • Fatigue
  • Reduced appetite
  • Weight loss
  • Diarrhea
  • Worms being passed in stool

Giving your tortoise a soak and checking to see if they pass loose stool, or worms in stool is an idea. Follow this up by checking their weight. If they pass loose stool or worms in their stool, or have lost weight recently, it may be worth taking your tortoise to the vets to get a diagnosis of parasites, and a dose (Or a few doses) of Panacur.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
It could be possible that the enclosure is too warm if you also have a basking spot set up. It would be worth checking temperatures just to ensure the enclosure isn’t too warm, as tortoises will attempt to retreat to a cooler place if they are too warm.

Are there any obvious signs of parasites if you do wake them up? Here are some signs of a heavy parasite load:
  • Fatigue
  • Reduced appetite
  • Weight loss
  • Diarrhea
  • Worms being passed in stool

Giving your tortoise a soak and checking to see if they pass loose stool, or worms in stool is an idea. Follow this up by checking their weight. If they pass loose stool or worms in their stool, or have lost weight recently, it may be worth taking your tortoise to the vets to get a diagnosis of parasites, and a dose (Or a few doses) of Panacur.
My tort eats very well. I.E: no loss of appetite, no diarrhea, no worms in stool. However, he's very inactive.

I do not think it's that warm : not to warm for a cold blooded animal.

At the moment, he's relaxing under his lamp.

Many thanks you help.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi Gillian:

It might be the heat of summer that's causing this. Some tortoises go through what is called estivation when the weather gets hot.
Hello Yvonne and thanks your help.

Frankly speaking I do not think it's the weather: temperature is about 25 degrees C in Amman today. It is not that hot-not for a cold blooded animal, is it?