Tortoise Blog

RMTrescue

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta
Hello everyone we at RMTrescue have started a blog on our website. Feel free to go check it out. You can register to interact and comment on the blog as well. We will primarily be focusing on tortoise ownership in cooler climates and tips and tricks to help out those owners.

Take a look. You can always contact us through our website, Facebook page, or email [email protected]

Here’s the link to our website
https://rmtrescue.wixsite.com/rmtrescue

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's a beautiful web site. Wix did a fantastic job, but I'm afraid your care info leaves a lot to be desired, and is basically incorrect. Just one thing I'll mention . . . on the sulcata care sheet you've mixed up greek tortoises under the sulcata lighting section.

Everyone has a right to their own opinion, but I think you need to do more research before you tell people how to care for their tortoises.

RMTrescue

Alberta
It's a beautiful web site. Wix did a fantastic job, but I'm afraid your care info leaves a lot to be desired, and is basically incorrect. Just one thing I'll mention . . . on the sulcata care sheet you've mixed up greek tortoises under the sulcata lighting section.

Everyone has a right to their own opinion, but I think you need to do more research before you tell people how to care for their tortoises.

Hi there, our care sheets are based of our research and information, there’s a lot of opinions on care that don’t work for everyone. Especially where we’re located. The Greek/sulcata error is a button error on wix I just have to change the link. Oops

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Hi there, our care sheets are based of our research and information, there’s a lot of opinions on care that don’t work for everyone. Especially where we’re located.

Since you are sincerely trying to offer a resource with the best information, may I make an observation?

I agree there are lots of opinions on what works. The simple way to weed through them is to ask for pictures of actual tortoises raised that way from hatchling. I have raised over 100 tortoises the way your care sheet details and ALL of them pyramided. I found out the need for humidity and the value of a closed, humid chamber and now raise tortoises that do not pyramid. A tortoise that looks great from the outside is most likely much better on the inside too!! Here's a few example to back up my position. Simply as anyone who says they know the best way for pictures of results and it is much easier to sort through all the claims!!

Why not read through the care sheets here for some ideas?

Smooth sulcata.jpg IMG_5184.JPG

RMTrescue

Alberta
Since you are sincerely trying to offer a resource with the best information, may I make an observation?

I agree there are lots of opinions on what works. The simple way to weed through them is to ask for pictures of actual tortoises raised that way from hatchling. I have raised over 100 tortoises the way your care sheet details and ALL of them pyramided. I found out the need for humidity and the value of a closed, humid chamber and now raise tortoises that do not pyramid. A tortoise that looks great from the outside is most likely much better on the inside too!! Here's a few example to back up my position. Simply as anyone who says they know the best way for pictures of results and it is much easier to sort through all the claims!!

Why not read through the care sheets here for some ideas?

View attachment 259522 View attachment 259523

Care sheets on our website are the basic care information. And what says that we haven’t been raising tortoises for many many years. Yes the account says I’m 19. Well that’s because I am the one running the Social media. We have a team of people who have dedicated their lives to the proper care of tortoises in Alberta. What works for some doesn’t work for all. Climate plays a big part of it. We have seen more tortoises sick over being in a “closed humid chamber”. We will continue to raise and rescue our tortoises in ways that have been successful to us.