Tortoise Cabin

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Paris, Texas
I had plans on constructing Spur’s outdoor house this summer but my grandmother offered me this for free and I’m really excited about its potential. It’s a dog house she had built for their Rottweiler that they had to put down (he never used it and a storm blew the door off last year, they’ve had it for years just sitting outside) but it’s 8 ft long and about 4 wide on the inside, its already wired for electricity (noticed the AC for the dog) and insulated. I have a handful of ideas on what needs to be done but any wisdom and other ideas would be a great help. It also took 5 people to move it! IMG_0549.jpgIMG_0551.jpgIMG_0556.jpgIMG_0552.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Nice gift for a tortoise owner. I would cut a the door in half so that the top half can be closed, helping to hold heat in while the lower half would be open for the tort to go out. You could attach some over lapping plastic strips to the inside of the upper portion, hanging down to cover the opening to help keep cold air out and again heat in, but he would be able to walk thru them. Then you would still be able to close the lower half at night. I would put a insulated floor in it if it doesn't already have a floor, I couldn't tell.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Nice gift for a tortoise owner. I would cut a the door in half so that the top half can be closed, helping to hold heat in while the lower half would be open for the tort to go out. You could attach some over lapping plastic strips to the inside of the upper portion, hanging down to cover the opening to help keep cold air out and again heat in, but he would be able to walk thru them. Then you would still be able to close the lower half at night. I would put a insulated floor in it if it doesn't already have a floor, I couldn't tell.

I will definitely do that, thank you very much! I’m definitely going to do some work to the floor to make sure it’s sealed and insulated!

theguy67

10 Year Member!
I like it. Just be aware of ants, especially being in Texas. I'm not a huge fan of locking tortoises up in my area due to ants, even if I'm currently going on the attack. 8x4 may be big enough for him to move to the other side if they became a problem.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Sweet gift, bless your grandma.