"tortoise chips"

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Well @Will, I'm trying different methods to feed my torts opuntia. So far I tried hydrating some and mixing it in the fresh greens with my juvenile reds and adult homeana. Both failed, they ate around the opuntia.
However with my hard to please homeana I put some of the smaller chips in as they were, dried. They have eaten it with spinach and fruit. Very suprised and happy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wanted to try them dry since my tortoises are used to eating opuntia already. First up was Mr. Blue. 3 year old Sudan sulcata. He sniffed the chips, then turned to the green bean sized strips and began eating them. No hesitation.
IMG_3579.JPG

Next up was my SA girl with the crooked scute. She did the exact same thing, but after a few bites she turned to the chips and ate those too. She sat there and ate all of them but left the smallest grated size last.
IMG_3580.JPG

Next up was Goldy. 50 pound 8 year old female sulcata. She sniffed the strings and chips, but eventually did nothing more than nibble before moving on.
IMG_3587.JPG

IMG_3590.JPG

Next I decided to soak the remaining product and try it with different tortoise. I soaked each type in its own container for about 40 minutes, and offered it to one of my big male SA leopards. This little piggy dove into the piles and sat there and ate every scrap.IMG_3591.JPG

IMG_3598.JPG

In conclusion, the product was a big hit at my place even when fed dry, in small piles, with nothing else. Soaked, and mixed with other stuff, I have no doubt any tortoise will wan to eat it. Seems to me to be a good winter supplement for anyone who has trouble finding enough food in a cold winter climate.

I would whole heartedly recommend this product to anyone who is not growing their own opuntia and anyone who has frozen winters where they need to feed a lot of grocery store greens. Actually, I'd recommend this product to anyone who cares for a tortoise.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Here is fine. Please be articulate. I actually ate some and find they would taste good with just the slightest seasoning, salt vinegar etc.
Hi @Will please give me a call when you can. Thanks.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I'm placing an order for more chips...my guys really liked them and they have been a great addition to an otherwise not so great winter diet in my cold climate.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
I wanted to try them dry since my tortoises are used to eating opuntia already. First up was Mr. Blue. 3 year old Sudan sulcata. He sniffed the chips, then turned to the green bean sized strips and began eating them. No hesitation.
View attachment 151043

Next up was my SA girl with the crooked scute. She did the exact same thing, but after a few bites she turned to the chips and ate those too. She sat there and ate all of them but left the smallest grated size last.
View attachment 151044

Next up was Goldy. 50 pound 8 year old female sulcata. She sniffed the strings and chips, but eventually did nothing more than nibble before moving on.
View attachment 151045

View attachment 151046

Next I decided to soak the remaining product and try it with different tortoise. I soaked each type in its own container for about 40 minutes, and offered it to one of my big male SA leopards. This little piggy dove into the piles and sat there and ate every scrap.View attachment 151047

View attachment 151048

In conclusion, the product was a big hit at my place even when fed dry, in small piles, with nothing else. Soaked, and mixed with other stuff, I have no doubt any tortoise will wan to eat it. Seems to me to be a good winter supplement for anyone who has trouble finding enough food in a cold winter climate.

I would whole heartedly recommend this product to anyone who is not growing their own opuntia and anyone who has frozen winters where they need to feed a lot of grocery store greens. Actually, I'd recommend this product to anyone who cares for a tortoise.

@Tom your torts are amazing. Those leopards are beauties! Thanks for volunteering them as guinea-pigs haha