Tortoise choice

BangoSkank

5 Year Member
Hello all, I have been playing around with the idea of getting a tortoise, I have been doing some research online and with a pet store owner here in Flagstaff. I was hoping you guys could help me choose the tortoise that is right for me.
1. I was hoping for a tortoise that would not get too big.
2. One that would do well in Flagstaff. Flagstaff is at 7000ft it is 60-85 in the summer and anywhere from -10 to 50 in the winter. Some winters we get loads of snow and some we get none.
3. I was planing on taking the tortoise inside during the winter for the first few years and eventually building a small heated shed for it to hibernate in when it got a little bigger. During the summer it would live outside in an enclosure.
4. Any advice would be appreciated and of course I will continue to do research before getting a tortoise. I just found this forum and will be scouring it.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Well the problem I see is having a Tort is a very long term commitment to a
Life and your saying " playing with the idea " have you thought about a box turtle I have 6 and there are few different types of boxys . But good luck
With thinking some more about this

BangoSkank

5 Year Member
By saying "playing around with the idea" I mean i'm doing research into what kind of tort I should have, how to keep them. what to feed them, ect.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
There is at least one species that could potentially acclimate and do well year round in your location. The best measure would be for others there in Flagstaff to say what their routine is with what species they have.

Thanks much for being so informative at the get-go about your situation.

That species? Russian tortoise, meets your criteria and your situation's reality.

Will

DevilsLettuce

5 Year Member
Will said:
There is at least one species that could potentially acclimate and do well year round in your location. The best measure would be for others there in Flagstaff to say what their routine is with what species they have.

Thanks much for being so informative at the get-go about your situation.

That species? Russian tortoise, meets your criteria and your situation's reality.

Will

Agreed...

BangoSkank

5 Year Member
Little Update, So far, I have narrowed my selection to either the Russian, Leopard or Redfoot. So I have been doing a bit of research on TFO, including habitats (indoor and out), Toms "How to prevent pyramiding" (great looking Sulcatas Tom) defiantly plan on replicating that. Neals' post on Leopard tort care sheet and a bit on Russian tort care. In addition, I have talked to the only local pet store Owner up here in Flagstaff, who owned a thriving Leopard. I have even found an old bookcase I plan on re purposing into an indoor habitat. Using the bookshelves to expand the enclosure as the tort grow.

I will probably begin setting up the enclosure this weekend.

So I would like it if you guys could help me decides between the Russian, Leopard and Redfoot. And also help me decide when I should get a tort, either now when the enclosure is complete and going into winter, or in the spring when things begin to warm back up again. I would like to get a tort as close to hatchling as possible so I can begin pyramid prevent.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Mid November there will be the TTPG conference in Meza, and then a two day Reptile Expo. If you are able to wait that might be a good time to talk to lots of people, see many animals, and make your choice where it's not a popularity contest, but your own perspective based on what you see and what live interactive conversation will lead to.

Many TFO folks talk-up the TTPG event, I plan to go this year, and why not wait one day longer for a show?

Will

BangoSkank

5 Year Member
Thanks Will, I was hoping for advice on when to get a tort ie. if I should wait until winter is over or have it grow inside during the winter.

Irish

5 Year Member
Orlando Florida
I advise Russian. Red foots have specific humidity requirements, and Leopards are tricky too. Russians are more adaptable, and much smaller. Leopards are quite large by comparison.

BangoSkank

5 Year Member
Thanks Irish, Does anyone know of any Russian Breeders in the Pheonix area?

Boopee28

5 Year Member
There are alot of differant types of tortoises that stay fairly small, I would reccomend a dry land tortoise such as a russion or greek. These make good starter tortoises because they do not require humidity so you have more options as far as enclosures.

Have Fun With Your New Tort :tort::D