tortoise coming out at night

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I've been keeping turtles and tortoises for quite a long time. Most of my tortoises are outside with 'warm' houses to retreat to. It's usually very dry here and we are in a drought, however, we've had a couple of rains instances move through the past week.

My side-kick, Misty (doberman), has to go outside to do her business occasionally, and I always go with her (not 'go' go, but walk outside with her). So three or four days ago we went outside and it was raining and the 40lb rescue sulcata that temporarily lives in the back yard with access to a warm house, was out in the rain. It was totally dark, around 10p, and the tortoise was outside. Then last night, raining again, dog outside and there was the tortoise again. He has water to drink and I've seen him drink it. I wonder what it is about a COLD rain that calls him out of his warm house. I've never had a tortoise do this before.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Shortly after sunset, here at the ranch, I take a walk about to make sure all the tortoises are in. Occasionally one will be outside, but it's clear it feel asleep basking in a corner of the yard while the sun was setting. That is an odd one you've got there Yvonne.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Is s/he looking for mate? Some turtles are looking for mate in the rain as I know. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I think it is to avoid a flooded burrow. Mine seek higher ground when it rains. So do the native tortoises. He is just following his instincts in a new place that he doesnt know it will not flood.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
motero said:
I think it is to avoid a flooded burrow. Mine seek higher ground when it rains. So do the native tortoises. He is just following his instincts in a new place that he doesnt know it will not flood.

This is an excellent insight. I think you're right.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Yvonne I believe I also had a suggestion in regard to what could be going on in
“pretend chat" last night.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Does he like Piña Coladas?

LMAOfff....:p

He has water to drink

Also Yvonne, since there has been such a lack of rainfall, perhaps he is driven outdoors to obtain the water regardless to time of day...I mean, there is very little time a tort is TRULY sleeping (very little DEEP sleep goes on during most time)...I have a tort here that hates hates hates to drink from the dish I provide for him...but if I flood out part of his yard he books to it to consume as much water as possible.....

Not saying that this is what it is...but is what comes to mind....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mine all do this too. This is the one of the reasons I started locking them in at night.

They don't seem to understand that cold is bad and they should move somewhere warmer. There is no "cold" where they come from. Even if it was a cooler than normal night, they are down in their warm burrows and the next day will be hot again. Not like here.

Their affinity for being rained on outweighs their desire to be in a warmer spot.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Well that explains why Chuck came out of his box on a 60F, cloudy, rainy day to stand in the rain. He had been in his box for 2 days without even sticking his nose out. I am starting to think that he somehow knows what the weather is like outside without even looking. As soon as it started to rain, he came out. Walked out into the rain and stood still as if he were experiencing something special. Then he sniffed the ground all over. Then smelled the water on the cement like he was taking a drink. After about 15 minutes he decided he had enough and went back into his box.