Tortoise confusion!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

katmk10

5 Year Member
What's the best indoor enclosure for a horse field tortoise a vivarium or a tortoise table ?!,! Heard so many diff things

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Both. Not the answer you wanted correct? It depends on so many factors like how old is the Russian? What are the dimensions of the enclosure, especially the viv? How are you planing on setting it up (as in what will you have inside it as furniture and substrate, along with the lighting)? Where do you live and what are the temps and humidity levels within your home? All those things do make differences and make a difference in what is the "best" choice. Most commonly, it is the tortoise table that works best in more situations it seems.

katmk10

5 Year Member
Okay thanks yeah I want some more advice on what types of things to put in te tortoise table , im getting a baby horse field I think about 14month old and have bought a tortoise table I'm trying to read up on loads of info but a lot of it is conflicting

Akronic

5 Year Member
if he's by himself, i would but lots of things for him to climb on, even just log hides work. mine will climb on anything. i like to do breaks in the line of site if i have more than one. also i like little ramps leading up to a deep substrate area. they go up there at night now to burrow in the deep coco coir. here are some pics of mine. other members have tables alot nicer some are more basic. the one hide i just made from a bunch of wooden dowls and ran a metal coat hanger through it and just bend it into whatever shape i wanted.

Attachments

• PICT5606.JPG
    PICT5606.JPG
    425 KB · Views: 41
  • PICT5604.JPG
    PICT5604.JPG
    431.4 KB · Views: 38

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Build your own table or enclosure much cheaper, and you can make it to your dimensions or size :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I prefer the closed chamber type set-up. I feel I can better control the conditions and environment in there if all my humidity and heat doesn't just escape up into the room. This is especially important for small ones.

I really think this is a matter of preference as either can be made to work. If you choose the open tortoise table design, I highly recommend using a humid hide box.

Akronic

5 Year Member
the humid hide box is for juveniles right? i keep my substrate fairly moist but it drys out from time to time. all my RT's are at least 4 1/2 " do they need a humid hide like juvy?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Akronic said:
the humid hide box is for juveniles right? i keep my substrate fairly moist but it drys out from time to time. all my RT's are at least 4 1/2 " do they need a humid hide like juvy?

No, just add water to your substrate periodically and stir the substrate up, so the underlayers are moist (not sopping, top of substrate can be drier). Keep a hide in both the warm and cool side.

Status
Not open for further replies.