Hibernation

DoubleD1996!

Location (City and/or State)
Memphis
Hi
I have a 5 year old horse field tortoise who has gone into hibernation but is still scratching in his enclosure is this normal please?
When they hibernate they dig underground, but if the temperatures are still too warm he'll be active

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for your response
May I just ask will he still be hibernating ?
What is the temperature where he is?
Where is he?
Did you do the proper lead in before brumation to empty the gut and hydrate the tortoise for a month?

Bevanne47

South Wingfield, Derbyshire
What is the temperature where he is?
Where is he?
Did you do the proper lead in before brumation to empty the gut and hydrate the tortoise for a month?
Hi Tom
Yes I did all the brumstuon with him , when I bathed him the last couple of times he wasnt pooing and he's not been eating for a while.
He's in the conservatory in his enclosure with no heat mat or lamp on and covered in hay

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom
Yes I did all the brumstuon with him , when I bathed him the last couple of times he wasnt pooing and he's not been eating for a while.
He's in the conservatory in his enclosure with no heat mat or lamp on and covered in hay
What is the temperature where he is? You need to be monitoring the temperature with a digital thermometer that records the highs and lows daily. For a horsfield, the temperature needs to remain at a steady 4C. If its warmer than that, or if its fluctuating a lot due to weather, you will need to make other arrangements.