worried about my tortoise

Jenanprid

Hi I am new to having a tortoise it has been asleep for one week now so I think it is going into hibernation it's still moving around but it's eyes are always shut, I'm worried it hasn't eaten enough for it to go into hibernation what should I do? I didn't think it would go into hibernation by itself as it is only 1 year in 3 months old so this will be the first time it's going into hibernation and won't I still need to keep it hydrated?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Your tortoise isn't trying to hibernate, he's showing symptoms of improper care. Have you read the care sheet for young Russian tortoises?

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/b...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

I suggest you re-read that care sheet and make adjustments to your tortoise's enclosure accordingly. Mainly, double check the temperature you have in the enclosure.

A brumating (not hibernation in tortoises) tortoise doesn't move around like you say. He goes underground and stays quiet until it gets warm enough for him to come back up (several months later).