question about eyes always shut

Jenanprid

Hi I am new to having a tortoise it has been asleep for one week now so I think it is going into hibernation it's still moving around but it's eyes are always shut, I'm worried it hasn't eaten enough for it to go into hibernation what should I do? I didn't think it would go into hibernation by itself as it is only 1 year in 3 months old so this will be the first time it's going into hibernation and won't I still need to keep it hydrated?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi @Jenanprid - What species of tortoise is it?

I never allow my babies to hibernate (actually called brumation) until they're three years old.

But it really sounds like there's more wrong here than a tortoise wanting to hibernate. After we know the species, we'll need to know more about how you care for it and what his enclosure is like.

Jenanprid

Hi @Jenanprid - What species of tortoise is it?

I never allow my babies to hibernate (actually called brumation) until they're three years old.

But it really sounds like there's more wrong here than a tortoise wanting to hibernate. After we know the species, we'll need to know more about how you care for it and what his enclosure is like.

Hi

My tortoise is a horsefield tortoise, he hasnt gone into hibernation it was a false alarm he woke up and is awake every day now. Everything seems fine. I have notices little bugs in the tortoise table. I have read its normal and they are called springtails but am worried they can crawl into my bed. I have my tortoise table in my room so am worried my bedroom will be full of them. Can this happen?

Last edited:

Jenanprid

Also what kind of lighting you are using, temps, humidity, etc

My light is a
ARCADIA D3 REPTILE BASKING LAMP 80W HEAT LIGHT & UV UVA UVB IR this keeps it at the right temp which is 36°C and in the cool area it is 26°C.

This is what i have been told the temp should be.

Humidity? From what i know about this is you have to mix water into the soil so often.

Tell me about what you know?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
What is your substrate? We need to know your percentage of humidity, not how you get it. Even then, just mixing water into the substrate isn't enough to get higher humidity, and really inquires a totally closed enclosure. A picture would really help us, too :)

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi

My tortoise is a horsefield tortoise, he hasnt gone into hibernation it was a false alarm he woke up and is awake every day now. Everything seems fine. I have notices little bugs in the tortoise table. I have read its normal and they are called springtails but am worried they can crawl into my bed. I have my tortoise table in my room so am worried my bedroom will be full of them. Can this happen?

Springtails like a wet environment, so they should not want to get into your bedding. They would much prefer to stay in the nice damp substrate of your tortoise table.