Tortoise diet and table queries

Lisa&Benny

I know this is probably a normal question asked by most new tortoise owners but I'm generally terrified about what I am now feeding my tortoise (Benny) who was recently Penny until a trip to vet. So much conflicting information and I am now concerned about if I am doing the right thing. Benny is a Greek spur thighed and is two years old. He has been on a varied diet of lettuce (non ice berg) cucumber, red, yellow and green peppers, corn on the cob(in moderation) Brussels sprouts, cabbage and occasional apple etc, a lot of conflicting information on what he can have and would like to know if what I am doing is correct as all the information online suggests one minute this is correct and next it's not. Benny had a bad diet before I got his which has resulted in slight pyramiding in his shell and also it is not 100% solid on the undersize, the vet said he has a few skin wounds (minor) not sure the reason why? He has a water dish kept clean at all times and enjoys a bath a few times a week. He has a tortoise table with a light providing the heating and UVB at an 80W bulb which was recommended by pets at home. Just wondered if anyone else had experienced these problems and would be able to help me :) what a relief to know there is somewhere I can go for advice!

Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
They should be eating mostly broadleaf weeds and leaves. Grocery store foods are not the best. Here are some suggestions:
Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:
"Testudo Seed Mix" from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes
Pasture mixes or other seeds from http://www.groworganic.com/seeds.html
Homegrown alfalfa
Mazuri Tortoise Chow
ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food

turtlemanfla88

Tom did a great list for you. I grow all my own greens. If you have some of the black one gallon pots. Go to dollar store and get collard greens,turnips green seeds. That is what i do I can help you if you have any questions.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Your uvb bulb is not a coil type bulb is it? Also are you providing calcium a couple times a week? This might be why shell is not hard.

turtlemanfla88

I recommend to everyone get your animals at least a couple of hours of natural sunlight a day. I use 1/4" wire and wood sides. They will graze on the grass you put them on. sulcatas and leopards are big grazers.

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan
I grow a tortoise mix in my outdoor enclosure. I also harvest it and bring it inside as well. I also have Teo on orchard grass and timothy hay pellets (moisten) with calcium. Great way to keep her on a more natural diet along with lots of extra hydration.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lisa, and welcome to the Forum!

The foods in the brassica family should be fed sparingly (brussels sprouts, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower); corn on the cob and apple used as a treat, even less often than sparingly.

I haven't seen your tortoise, but you said he was pyramided. This doesn't happen from diet. It occurs because the baby was kept too dry during his first year. In nature, baby tortoises seek out hiding places almost all the time. One never sees baby tortoises above ground. This means they are in a moist and humid environment 24/7. We have mistakenly thought they should be kept dry...but now we're learning different. They should be kept moist. Even though your baby is now 2, it would benefit him to have a moist substrate deep enough that he can dig down into it.

It sounds like your care otherwise is on the right track.