Tortoise Diet

RitaC

Location (City and/or State)
Milford MA
This is what the vet gave me today for my Herman’s tortoise. Currently he eats mostly weeds that we grow for him. The Vet told me to add more calcium rich greens like collards, kale and mustard greens. She also told me to get him alfalfa hay. What do you think? Opinions? IMG_0057.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0057.jpg
    IMG_0057.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18

snivloc16

Kansas
I would skip the fruit and vegetables for sure. Hermanns aren’t supposed to have any at all really. Stick to your diet of weeds and maybe add some mazuri once or twice a week. Also you really don’t need to dust with calcium and vitamins every feeding. Only a couple times a week. And I’ve never been able to get my hermanns to eat hay. : )

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Delete 6. h frozen thawed of most of those is not really a great diet source. In a pinch maybe once every other year (LOL) no worries.
7. prickly pear fruit when in season and melon, keeping at the five %, when in season.

Otherwise this list should not replace your current diet, but can be used to widen variety,

RitaC

Milford MA
Delete 6. h frozen thawed of most of those is not really a great diet source. In a pinch maybe once every other year (LOL) no worries.
7. prickly pear fruit when in season and melon, keeping at the five %, when in season.

Otherwise this list should not replace your current diet, but can be used to widen variety,

Yeah, I found the frozen mixed vegetables to be very odd. I’ve never heard anyone suggest that before. I’ll stick to the weeds and perhaps add some of the dark leafy greens for more variety.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I buy a summer squash and a papaya at my local market when they're fresh: cube them and keep them in the freezer in ziplock bags ... I thaw a bit each week to increase the variety of my tort's.

Yours doesn't need much fruit/veg in their diet, but a tiny bit of those every week or two might provide some needed/missing nutrients.

Jamie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
She also told me to get him alfalfa hay. What do you think? Opinions?

What do I think? I think you need to find a new vet. This one is ignorant of tortoise nutritional needs and husbandry.

RitaC

Milford MA
What do I think? I think you need to find a new vet. This one is ignorant of tortoise nutritional needs and husbandry.

Yeah. I wasn’t impressed. I drove over an hour to go there because they are supposed to be experts in wildlife and exotic pets. Then they made me wait 40 mins even though I had an appointment. Then she kept interrupting me and was quite rude. I was told to keep him warmer at night, supplement every day instead of 2-3 times a week and then she handed me this sheet. I don’t think I’ll be going back to her.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah. I wasn’t impressed. I drove over an hour to go there because they are supposed to be experts in wildlife and exotic pets. Then they made me wait 40 mins even though I had an appointment. Then she kept interrupting me and was quite rude. I was told to keep him warmer at night, supplement every day instead of 2-3 times a week and then she handed me this sheet. I don’t think I’ll be going back to her.
I'm glad you realized it.

Daily calcium supplementation will lead to mineral imbalance. Calcium interferes with the absorption of other important minerals and trace elements, like zinc, for example. Calcium is important, but too much calcium leads to deficiencies in other things. The often leads to the tortoise consuming rocks, pebbles and other inappropriate things in a futile effort to regain the correct mineral balance.

I would call and complain. Let them know why you won't be coming back. Make an effort to stop these people from spreading bad info that will harm tortoises. You are already feeding the best diet possible for your species, and these imbeciles tell you to go to the grocery store and buy crap that is not as good for them and in some cases detrimental. That is bad news for any other tortoise that gets carried through their doors.

RitaC

Milford MA
I would call and complain. Let them know why you won't be coming back. Make an effort to stop these people from spreading bad info that will harm tortoises. You are already feeding the best diet possible for your species, and these imbeciles tell you to go to the grocery store and buy crap that is not as good for them and in some cases detrimental. That is bad news for any other tortoise that gets carried through their doors.

You’re right. I should let them know. I get why Vets can be quick to judge pet owners. But some of us actually do our homework before bringing an animal into our home. I wish the Veterinarians would do the same. Perhaps I should direct them to @HermanniChris website so they can educate themselves.

Reactions: Tom