Tortoise Diseases?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussianSlider4

5 Year Member
okay so I'm curious as to knowing what diseases can a Russian Tortoise have and/or give to humans. Like with water turtles its salmonella. Is this the same with tortoises? What other diseases are associated with pet turtles/tortoises? Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't think there are any zoonotic tortoise/human diseases. Salmonella is always a concern, even with tortoises, but also with fish, chicken, money, etc.

Just wash your hands after handling any reptile or raw meat.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
you are more likely to get salmonella from a sponge on your sink, money, chicken, tomatoes etc... rather than a healthy and clean tortoise! just wash your hands after handling! i have had reptiles for more than 16 years! (im only 16... reptiles were my parents children before i was) and never had a problem once! torts i believe have a less possible risk rather than aquatic turtles.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The problem with caged animals, from tortoises to fish, is that if there is any Salmonella in the feces, they are pretty much forced to come in contact with it.

Baby turtles are the best example of this. In the 'old days', they got Salmonella because they were bulk collected in the warm waste-waster settling ponds of sewage plants- Salmonella factories!

The germ could be washed off the shell, but their internal system was infected and the germs would be shed when they defecated. Swimming in the dirty water reinfected them and the cycle continued.

Drier animals, like torts and hamsters, are less likely to be heavily contaminated, but again- they often pass it in their feces once they get contaminated at all.

How common is it in captive pets? I don't know, but the local herpetology department at the college tests their collection routinely and some of their wild caughts have it for a while, but all of their captive bred and long-term captives, except the mud turtles for some reason, are 'clean'. (However- they also practice very strict hygiene rules!)

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
the thing i never found out is, if once a tortoise has salmonella... can it get rid of it. i would think most captive bred torts have a less chance of having it, if having it at all. but if farm raised, thats a different story

Status
Not open for further replies.