how does this make any sort of sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
When I was researching diseases in tortoises after Carl's shell got a little softer, I came across the Tortoise Trust page for respiratory diseases in turtles and tortoises.

It says that decreased OR increased activity can be a sign of a lower respiratory tract infection.

How does that make sense? Not bashing Tortoise Trust, just honestly curious as to how hyperactivity can be a sign of a respiratory infection

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/rns.html

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Perhaps because the animal is struggling to find a place that may either help relieve his symptoms (such as a higher humidity level or more warmth) or to get comfortable and be able to breathe easier or could be trying to find a place that it feels secure to hide out in while sick. Another idea would be that they know they are sick and are trying to find plants that would contain healing properties. All of those could make for what would appear a more active tortoise.

EKLC

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Perhaps because the animal is struggling to find a place that may either help relieve his symptoms (such as a higher humidity level or more warmth) or to get comfortable and be able to breathe easier or could be trying to find a place that it feels secure to hide out in while sick. Another idea would be that they know they are sick and are trying to find plants that would contain healing properties. All of those could make for what would appear a more active tortoise.

I agree with Jacqui, it's probably an evolutionary response to sickness, not an effect of the sickness itself

Status
Not open for further replies.