1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Tortoise doesn't come out

Discussion in 'Russian tortoises' started by Archie's mom, Nov 17, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Archie's mom

Archie's mom New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Groveland ny
    Hi everyone, I'm in upstate NY and it's been unseasonably cold and dark. I have my Russian with lights on 14 hours heat at 80-95 and all he wants to do is sleep. He slowed down his eating almost a month ago, but I made food available everyday. He has a tunnel/house in the corner of his enclosure and he hasn't been out in a week. I still had the lights on everyday but he hasn't come out. I stopped putting the lights on a couple of days ago but his enclosure is under a window it's bright during the day.and the sun comes through. Our house and enclosure temp is 70-72. The enclosure is in the dining room and there's talking, music, and barking dogs all around but he's made no appearance. I've reached my hand inside the tunnel Friday to touch him and he moved his leg, same this morning. I miss him, any ideas on what is happening with him.
  2. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Clovis, CA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    How long have you had this tortoise? If you bought it recently from a pet store, chances are good it's a wild caught Russian tortoise and he's tuned in to the seasons, knowing that now is the time he's supposed to be brumating.
  3. JoesMum

JoesMum Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Kent, South East England
    Russians do detect the change of the seasons and will slow down at this time of year. It’s their instinct to hibernate through the winter. However they can’t hibernate unless the temperature is below 50F (and above freezing) and long periods of inactivity at warmer temperatures can lead to serious weight loss and dehydration.

You need to have bright lights on for 14 hours a day (you may need extra light but not heat).

Your ambient temperature by day sounds just fine.

At night it must not drop below 65F. You may need a Ceramic Heat Emitter with a thermostat to achieve this.

Directly under the basking lamp it must be 95-100F. Without being able to bask at this temperature, your tortoise can’t raise its internal temperature sufficiently to be active, eat and digest food.

Start every day with a 20 minute soak in warm water. This is extremely important for tortoises that are inactive and/or sick. Use a large flat bottomed bowl that your tortoise can’t see over or through. A washing up bowl is ideal because the larger volume of water cools more slowly. The water needs to be deep enough to just come up over the join between the shell and the plastron (undershell).

Place food in the enclosure while your tort is soaking and pop your tort back under the basking lamp after the soak so he gets the hint.
  4. Archie's mom

Archie's mom New Member

Groveland ny
    Yes, I purchesed him from Country Max in May
  5. Archie's mom

Archie's mom New Member

Groveland ny
    Should I wake him to soak him?
  6. JoesMum

JoesMum Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Kent, South East England
    Definitely. Don’t give him a choice. Haul him out and soak him first thing every day.
  7. Archie's mom

Archie's mom New Member

Groveland ny
    I did today and he didn't like it......he soaked (but he didn't leave any matter in the water) when I put him back he did eat about 3-4 pellets (no lettuce) stayed under the light for about 10 minutes then went back to his hide-a-way and back to sleep...??
  8. Blackdog1714

Blackdog1714 Well-Known Member

Richmond, VA
    You definately have a russian. If in the middle of summer on a nice day- 90's he would eat in the am and sleep all day! Only to wake up when the Hibiscus fairy showed up!
  9. Millerlite

Millerlite Well-Known Member 10 Year Member!

Southern Calif.
    russians are pretty sensitive to seasons. If its a wc tortoise he might be hardwired from many wild winters of hibernation. I also beleive they can feel pressure changes that might roll through winter time, and of course light cycle. Even with 14 hours of light and warm your russian may slow down.

Kyle
  10. Archie's mom

Archie's mom New Member

Groveland ny
  11. Archie's mom

Archie's mom New Member

Groveland ny
    Been waking him up for a soak every 1 to 2 days ( he hates it)...he does eat afterwards but runs right back in his cave to sleep....he wont touch the greens (field, dandelion greens or collard) i am going to try the food processor idea...he likes the colored pellets and I tried a small amount of sweet potato and the loved it. I dont see that on the list of foods is it ok to give it to him?