Tortoise Drinking A TON of water

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If the tortoise is gasping, it may be having trouble breathing. You may want to see a vet about this tortoise sooner rather than later.

Karissa

Is that what the thing she's doing with her neck/mouth is?!?? Ok thank you so much Yvonne G.

Karissa

Is there anything I can do to help her before taking her to the vet????

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Oh sorry....I was thinking the same thing...maybe something in the throat?!?! I'm concerned!!!! I thing you need to contact a vet asap...that seems urgent in my opinion...drinking a don of water & mouth open a lot?! Not sure sure what to say!!

Karissa

So I tried looking in her throat...that didn't work out too well. But, as I was holding her she peed a lot so I'm thinking that's a good sign because she drank all that water

Karissa

And I know this may should weird but she feels really warm.....????its probably fine though

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
If she's been basking a lot, she's warm. I really hope your tort is ok however. Maybe your tortoises is overheated?! Please keep us updated.

Karissa

Ok thank you. She actually had been sleeping with her light off when I took her out...

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ukiah Ca.
I notice the little dial thermometer, is that what you are going by for the temp? Sorry but the first thing that comes to my mind is over heating. And then the choking. I wish you and your tort luck. People are wonders here, you should listen to them they are pros at what they do for us.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I don't recall seeing you say anything about soaking your tortoise. I would try soaking the tortoise for 20 minutes in warm water (about 90 degrees). If still gasping I would see a vet.

Good luck.

Karissa

She is still drinking a lot (I still haven't figured out why) but other than that she is doing ok. Thanks for the concern you guys!

Karissa

I notice the little dial thermometer, is that what you are going by for the temp? Sorry but the first thing that comes to my mind is over heating. And then the choking. I wish you and your tort luck. People are wonders here, you should listen to them they are pros at what they do for us.

Yes I do go by that thermometer for the temperature

Karissa

She just did the gasping thing again...I noticed that she does it right under her light....? But after she does it once she goes back to normal activity. I have no idea