Tortoise enclosue

shelleyfitz18spike

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
scottsdale arizona
Hello~

This is my first outside enclosure for Spike. I am so worried about starting a fire. Can you please let me know if anything does not look right in this set up. I have a 6 year old African Sulcata and live in sunny Arizona. Our nights do get chilly. I have a Zoo Med heating pad and a 65watt heating lamp. This is insulated. Not sure if I need the cords outside the habitat to be covered and a surge protector.

Thank you for your help,
Shelley

Attachments

• IMG_9063.jpeg
    IMG_9063.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9145.jpeg
    IMG_9145.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9146.jpeg
    IMG_9146.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your fire threat is from the ceramic heat emitter clamp. Do not use the clamp. They are known to fail and start fires.
However, another pig blanket/Kane mat or a RHP is better to use for large tortoises as the che is too drying.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello~

This is my first outside enclosure for Spike. I am so worried about starting a fire. Can you please let me know if anything does not look right in this set up. I have a 6 year old African Sulcata and live in sunny Arizona. Our nights do get chilly. I have a Zoo Med heating pad and a 65watt heating lamp. This is insulated. Not sure if I need the cords outside the habitat to be covered and a surge protector.

Thank you for your help,
Shelley
Definitely get rid of the CHE and clamp lamp. Those are net good for heating larger tortoises. Mount a RHP overhead. That is much safer and more effective method. It can run on the same thermostat as your heat mat.

Your thermometer will tell you if you have enough heat and insulation.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Please take the advice and get rid of the che...if you want I can show you pictures of several spots in my house where the che has fallen face down burning the carpet, or starting a fire thru 3/4" plywood in the insulation in my tort shed. Please, just dump the Che...it's just easier than fire...
Mary Knobbins sleeps in here...100_6293.JPG
in here
100_6311.JPG