Updated Husbandry

Kirbykat71

Location (City and/or State)
Plantation, Fl
Hi guys I am
Also a new Sulcata hatchling Mommy. My husband brought an egg
Home and well it hatched in mid Sept. I’m a first timer but I feel like he/she is doing great. I live in south florida so its in an outside plastic enclosure but since it’s been chilly I’ve used a zarco heating pad. Is that a bad one? I can’t adjust the temp and I don’t even have a clue what temp the enclosure is. I order a light and it should be on its way but the little guy seema
To be flourishing

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Hi guys I am
Home and well it hatched in mid Sept. I’m a first timer but I feel like he/she is doing great. I live in south florida so its in an outside plastic enclosure but since it’s been chilly I’ve used a zarco heating pad. Is that a bad one? I can’t adjust the temp and I don’t even have a clue what temp the enclosure is. I order a light and it should be on its way but the little guy seema
To be flourishing
Based on our pictures and comments, I'm assuming that you are missing the mark on some key husbandry issues.

Give the care sheet a thorough reading and makes changes as necessary

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi guys I am
To be flourishing
What method89 said...

All undertank style heating pads are unsuitable for tortoise keeping.

Open topped tubs don't work well, and outside all day is not good, even in your climate.

Read that care sheet, and then start a thread with all your questions.

Kirbykat71

Plantation, Fl
Hi guys I was wondering if this is better? I live in south Florida so he usually gets a few hours outside during the day it’s just a little chilly

C06BC529-4991-4BE2-8FD7-9F7308ACC384.jpeg342A2BFD-EEC3-4A5E-8CB9-D4BCC695A8EB.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's better, but there are still some things needed addressed. Pour a whole pitcherful of water over the substrate then mix it up with your hand (remove the straw). The baby is very dry and is starting to pyramid from being too dry. If y0u still have the cover to that tub, cover the tub. You'll need to make a stand for the lights and quit using the clamp feature (they're dangerous). Cut holes in the lid for the lights. You will need a day time fixture and a night time fixture, as the baby needs to be kept at about 80-85F degrees day and night. The lid will help keep the warm, humid air inside and the cold air coming off the sliding glass door out.

Last edited:

Kirbykat71

Plantation, Fl
That's better, but there are still some things needed addressed. Pour a whole pitcherful of water over the substrate then mix it up with your hand (remove the straw). The baby is very dry and is starting to pyramid from being too dry. If y0u still have the cover to that tub, cover the tub. You'll need to make a stand for the lights and quit using the clamp feature (they're dangerous). Cut holes in the lid for the lights. You will need a day time fixture and a night time fixture, as the baby needs to be kept at about 80-85F degrees day and night. The lid will help keep the warm, humid air inside and the cold air coming off the sliding glass door out.

Kirbykat71

Plantation, Fl
Ok will do! I used Top soil under so it’s a bit damp already should I still pour more water? I think it may have been from my prior Husbandry. I didn’t even know he was starting to pyramid. Will I be able to reverse that?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ok will do! I used Top soil under so it’s a bit damp already should I still pour more water? I think it may have been from my prior Husbandry. I didn’t even know he was starting to pyramid. Will I be able to reverse that?
No, the shell doesn't change, however, with more moisture and less dessicating lighting, the new growth will start coming in smooth.

Yes to the water question.