Tortoise Enclosure Plants and Decor

Arlingstin

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Does anybody know of any plants that I can grow or place in my indoor Russian Tortoise enclosure that are not toxic (preferably ones that he will not eat, even if they are safe). I want to make his enclosure as realistic to Iran and Afghanistan as possible. Also, is there a good website that sells realistic rocks that are safe to Russian Tortoises?

saleena.lewis

Massachusetts
Well if there are real plants in there they are most likely going to eat them anyways. If you download the app "The Tortoise Table" there is a huge list of safe plants!

nicoleann2214

NY
Does anybody know of any plants that I can grow or place in my indoor Russian Tortoise enclosure that are not toxic (preferably ones that he will not eat, even if they are safe). I want to make his enclosure as realistic to Iran and Afghanistan as possible. Also, is there a good website that sells realistic rocks that are safe to Russian Tortoises?
Spider plants are good I have tons in my sulcata enclosure and pothos I believe are okay as long as they’re out of reach to be nibbled.

AgataP

Seattle, WA
I have a spider plant - tortoise has no interest in it. The rest of them are grasses, weeds that he can eat.
He really enjoys walking between them and picking things to eat.
I have sulcata so he has bunch of different grasses, clover etc. stuff that I ripped out with roots from the yard.
Some are growing no problem. Some die after a week. Some are eaten and as soon as a leaf pops out he grabs it ??

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Prayer plants are safe, as well as Boston fern.

The thing you need to remember is that any plant you buy at a store will have been dosed with chemicals, so it is not safe to just bring home and put in the enclosure. I had pothos and spider plant in my enclosure. My tortoise started eating the pothos, so I removed it and left the spider, which he doesn't touch.

I took a small cutting from new growth on the pothos and replanted it. It grows really fast, so now I have a new safe plant that I'm about to put in with him.