Tortoise enclosure securing help

Camryn

Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, FL
So my tortoise Is getting too big to live inside. We have an enclosure outside that we put in him for short amounts of time. He's getting too big for his bucket hide :( He does need water out there but we cant find anything to put in the enclosure. We are currently trying to expand the enclosure. he hates his current one because we used lattice as the fence and he's always trying to get out. I need tips on securing the ground for the future, like under the fence so when he's bigger he cant dig and escape our yard. Any tips welcomed! Thank you :)

Big B

5 Year Member
Orlando, FL
Cinder blocks work great and they are pretty cheap. You can move then around and change things up from time to time. If you spend a little more you can buy the caps. Two blocks and a cap makes a great bench to watch the tortoises.

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWest, USA
I think i spent under $50 building my tortoise pen. it's 4'x8', and i used 12 red landscaping timbers and dig a trench under them to pour 4-5 bags of concrete. lid was made out of some 1"x2" with chicken wire. couple of hinges, a hasp, and it's secure. sometimes you can find stuff on Craigslist that is being given away for free, like bricks and pieces of wood. What's the budget?

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
I love Google! I would search "DIY Sulcata hide" and see if anything floats your boat. I know a few people have used the large drainage pipe/PVC found at Home Depot/Lowes - whatever you use just make sure it is crush proof. You can make a DIY water bowl with some cement and a pile of sand. Figure out how deep you need it (so your tort will not drown) and make a pile of sand that high (make it longer so he can get in and out of it, like an oval mound. Slap some Saran Wrap over it, slop some cement on it and spread it nice and even and let dry. Pop it off and turn it over and you have an oval bowl you can stick in the ground and fill with water. (If you Google DIY birdbath it should give you clearer instructions!)