Tortoise enclosure

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hi, so I’m just wondering if this enclosure would be okay for baby tortoise just for the time being as her current enclosure is under reconstruction. Just wondering if the heat lamp would melt the plastic?

This enclosure is supposed to be for a guinea pig/rabbit which I’d say is far too small but anyways…. Photos below….

The top has a metal wiring.

Attachments

• IMG_1899.png
    IMG_1899.png
    223.8 KB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How little of a baby, what species and for how long?
It's way too small for any length of time and yes the heat lights and heat emitter would melt it
Instead get the largest tote box from a place like home Depot. 50 gallon or larger. Set that up as the enclosure. Will last longer and you can cut holes in the lid, line the rim of the holes with aluminum foil and set your heat and lights over the holes. A tube flourescent should be able to hang inside along the top.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, so I’m just wondering if this enclosure would be okay for baby tortoise just for the time being as her current enclosure is under reconstruction. Just wondering if the heat lamp would melt the plastic?

This enclosure is supposed to be for a guinea pig/rabbit which I’d say is far too small but anyways…. Photos below….

The top has a metal wiring.
Check this out instead:

United Kingdom
It's way too small for any length of time and yes the heat lights and heat emitter would melt it
Instead get the largest tote box from a place like home Depot. 50 gallon or larger. Set that up as the enclosure. Will last longer and you can cut holes in the lid, line the rim of the holes with aluminum foil and set your heat and lights over the holes. A tube flourescent should be able to hang inside along the top. as

Instead get the largest tote box from a place like home Depot. 50 gallon or larger. Set that up as the enclosure. Will last longer and you can cut holes in the lid, line the rim of the holes with aluminum foil and set your heat and lights over the holes. A tube flourescent should be able to hang inside along the top.
She’s a baby leopard tortoise I’d say around 2mm in length at the moment (estimate). She is very tiny, i accidentally broke her current enclosure when cleaning I knocked it by my mistake (of course she wasn’t in the enclosure at the time) so whilst im waiting on her new one the only other option is the plastic rabbit/guinea pig enclosure (the same as the photo posted). I do have all of the lights required however I’m only using the hanging bulb one for the plastic one as it’s quite small compared to her other enclosure. I haven’t yet received tracking details on the enclosure I’ve ordered so I’m hoping it’ll arrive within the next couple of days as I paid extra for express shipping.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
She’s a baby leopard tortoise I’d say around 2mm in length at the moment (estimate). She is very tiny, i accidentally broke her current enclosure when cleaning I knocked it by my mistake (of course she wasn’t in the enclosure at the time) so whilst im waiting on her new one the only other option is the plastic rabbit/guinea pig enclosure (the same as the photo posted). I do have all of the lights required however I’m only using the hanging bulb one for the plastic one as it’s quite small compared to her other enclosure. I haven’t yet received tracking details on the enclosure I’ve ordered so I’m hoping it’ll arrive within the next couple of days as I paid extra for express shipping.
The rabbit cage won't be suitable because it is too open. You need a viv. For a quick and cheap alternative, check out the thread I linked for you in post #3.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you can't get the tote box both I and Tom mentioned, is the grate on top of the cage you showed metal or plastic? If it's metal, they should be fine. If it's plastic, cut some of them away and then set up a piece of plastic or tarp over the whole enclosure to make it a closed chamber enclosure with all lights and heat under the plastic/tarp but not touching the plastic or tarp. This should hold until the enclosure arrives.
If the enclosure you ordered is still an open top enclosure, meaning there is a grate, wire mesh as part of the top, it too will have to be turned into a closed chamber.