Tortoise feeding

Jude curran

Location (City and/or State)
Glasgow
Im getting a russian who is 1 year old and im not sure how much and often to feed him , also i bought a cuttlefish peice of amazon and do i leave it in the inclosure of do i feed my tortoise it ?

Many thanks

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Ive read loads of them im just not 100% sure
You say you have read loads of them, well, try to stick with the care sheets from here. They are the most accurate and up to date. Most stuff you find out on the internet, is ether totally wrong or outdated. We have very experienced keepers here that have done a lot of research on these animals.

daniellenc

Maryland
Feed one big pile as large as the tort once a day, but with any new tort don't be alarmed if they don't eat the first few days and spend more time hiding.....it's normal. Also, figure out what it's current diet is torts become picky and often refuse new foods at first.

Hoka's Mom

Ann Arbor
I brought home an adult russian on Dec 8th. Since then he has not eaten. He climbs, digs and drags his food dish into the water every day, so he acts healthy. I thought, perhaps he was too cold so I have been giving 2x daily warm baths which he seems to enjoy and have made certain the temps are good in the enclosure. We give him several kinds of greens and some soft tortoise food and tortoise chow, even try grapes, but still not eating. I am getting concerned but I have heard they can take some time to "settle in". Would you keep waiting or would you find a vet?

daniellenc

Maryland
I brought home an adult russian on Dec 8th. Since then he has not eaten. He climbs, digs and drags his food dish into the water every day, so he acts healthy. I thought, perhaps he was too cold so I have been giving 2x daily warm baths which he seems to enjoy and have made certain the temps are good in the enclosure. We give him several kinds of greens and some soft tortoise food and tortoise chow, even try grapes, but still not eating. I am getting concerned but I have heard they can take some time to "settle in". Would you keep waiting or would you find a vet?

It’s very normal no vet needed unless they have signs of illness.

Hoka's Mom

Ann Arbor
It’s very normal no vet needed unless they have signs of illness.
Thank you So much! He is just the cutest little Tort and, although I have had many animals and two turtles, he is my first and just want to do whatever I can to make this work.
I am already addicted to this little fellow.