Tortoise fell a foot.

Cake

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Earlier today I had my 2 year old herman tortoise out walking around my bed. I had my back turned to him and was busy cleaning out his enclosure. When I turned back to check on him he had fallen off my bed! The fall was about one foot and onto a carpeted floor. He landed on his back. He's walking fine now. I think he's okay but I just wanted to make sure that there isn't anything wrong. Could he have been injured?

TairaBacca

North California
Tortoises are very adventurous so it's fairly common seeing a Mediterranean tortoise species jump from great heights. I have seen my tortoise look down from my stairs and he would never try to go down but when he is on my bed he would jump off without hesitation. Good thing tortoises have shells! Just make sure that your tortoise doesn't flip upside or you can risk some serious injury...

A tortoise's shell surrounds the internal organs and when a tortoise flips upside down those organs are crushed under heavy weight. This can cause longterm digestive issues and cut off blood circulation if he remains in this position for too long. I have read that they are fairly safe for up to 5 minutes upside down but after that injury can start to occur.

Also, make sure that your tortoise remains within an enclosed area and no small rocks or toys are in sight. Some tortoises find gravel as a food source of calcium but it's been proven by science that it can cause digestive issues. Remember that tortoises can be very fast and will disappear without supervision.
Hope this helps

-Tyler

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This is why the both of you should not let tortoises roam the house and for sure not on a bed or top of stairs. Yes, they could get hurt. Your lucky he doesn't appear to be. That's why this forum does not condone a tortoise roaming out side of its proper enclosure. Take warning now before it actually does get hurt.