Tortoise figurines

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Anyone else collect these? I probably have a few dozen, but I'm writing about a favorite one of mine--it was stolen on Halloween and I still miss it, so I'm looking for another one. It's a goofy-looking tort standing up holding a rake. Anyone happen to see one in a store or online?

It was a gift from at least a year ago. If I can get another one it's not going outside this time! Someday I want a garden full of tortoise figures (kinda like some people do with gnomes). Anyone want to share a photo of their collection? For all the years I couldn't get a tortoise I sure had fun collecting figures and reading books.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I collect tortoises carved out of stone. I have Lapis Lazuli, Rose Quartz, Petosky, and Tigereye to name a few :) I also collect bone turtle/tort carvings, and I have some really beautiful ones, and a tiny pill box carved from bone with two turtles on the lid in bas relief.

I have a sterling silver sea turtle with a purple and green enamled shell that opens up and has a clock inside, my husband got it for me the first Christmas we were dating.

My most prized one is a tiny 24 carat gold tortoise with a Swarovski crystal encrusted shell. It is a pill box also, and it is the most beautiful thing, I just love it.

I am extremely picky about my outdoor decor, and I personally do not care for statues in my garden unless they are EXTREMELY lifelike, and then maybe 2 at the most. I have seen some really cute ones, though.

I can't get pics right now because we are buying a new house and everything is packed, but I will as soon as I can.

Kristina

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I had a whole bunch of them, both inside and outside. The ones inside were becoming too much trouble to dust, so I packed them all up and gave them to my sister. I had a couple pretty nice ones...a turtle carved out of bone with a filagree carapace and you could see a little turtle inside it that came from Alaska, and a turtle carved out of coal that came from England, and a turtle carved or blown (??) out of crystal that came from the Hawaiian Islands. The rest of them were just ordinary turtles and tortoises. I have several stepping stones in the turtle shape (flat of courst) and a couple small cement turtles. My daughter has a huge cement tortoise that you can wind your garden hose up inside of. I have the plush sea turtle shown above and several turtle beanie babies.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.