Tortoise Flipped Over

Status
Not open for further replies.

emmal30

5 Year Member
Today I found one of my Hermann tortoises (seven months old) flipped over right under the basking lamp. I'd only been out of the room for about ten mins so I picked him up, but I'm really worried about what might happen when I'm out for the whole day.

I think he might have been trying to climb the wall, as this is something he tends to do every so often (not in the corner, just in the middle of a wall).

The enclosure is definitely big enough (3 foot by 4 foot). It has a sand/soil substrate - with around 20% sand.

Any advice on how to prevent this happening?

Thanks!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
You can;

make a bid of a rise/small hill under the basking spot so if he flips there he can have a better chance of pushing against the hill than that of a flat area

place plants along the perimeter of the enclosure to use up the space to make it difficult for the tort to go up the side

is the enclosure glass? if yes, the line the outside of the enclosure perimeter with a solid color paper or the like to make sure the tort can not see through the glass---the dont get why they can see through but not get there---and because they are very tenacious, they will continue to try and try until they wind up belly up....

also be sure to place the water dish (if you keep one in the enclosure while you are away) in the center of the enclosure vs the enclosure wall to help decrease the likel hood of the tort landing belly up in their water...

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
I would line the edge of the enclosure with plants. He may stop trying to crawl up the wall but if he tries and flips the pants will give him footing to right himself.

I also like plants/rocks placed in the middle to be sight barriers. Make sure the Tort can walk all the way around the object. They will enjoy having something more to do (walk around stuff) than just see straight to the edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.