Tortoise food storage?

Pennythetortie

Location (City and/or State)
Oman
So now with this virus spreading I might not be able to get out the house later to get food for my tortoises so I was wondering if I can freeze some vegetables so I can use them later when needed and if this is even possible? Because most edible veggies for tortoises can’t be freezer
Any options?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not sure, because I've never froze veggies, but I THINK if you par boil them first they freeze ok. Not greens though, I'm talking veggies. However, one can buy frozen spinach, etc. so I guess there's a way to freeze greens too.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Do you have any cactus in your area of Oman; I think they may be farming a little of it now? Or any vegetation near you?

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
I’ve been through hurricanes with a herd of guinea pigs on a peninsula where we had to wait for produce to be flown in (lots of pesticides and muck from floodwater, so no foraging) and one trick I learned is to not leave greens in the packaging. Spread/flatten them, let them dry out a bit, and then store them. If you leave them in a plastic bag or bunched up with condensation, they tend to “melt” faster. You can then freeze them, if you have wax paper or paper towels to spare, you can divide them up into layers so it doesn’t all stick together. You can turn the frozen veg into a purée or slurry, mixing it in with wet pellets works great!

Markets in most countries will still carry produce and groceries, we may just have to queue up, follow curfew or additional rules to be safe.