Tortoise-friendly wood sealant

jarod126

5 Year Member
I have a zoomed tortoise house that even though is lined with plastic, moisture has seeped through and dampened the wood so much that it leaks below the floor on the other side of the wood. I will change the type of plastic liner that I am using.

Nevertheless, can anyone recommend a wood sealant that isn't toxic to my sulcata?

Thanks!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
linseed oil is safe. The raw form takes forever to dry, but boiled linseed oil dries rather quick. The more coats the better the protection.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I've used mineral oil as a “pretend" sealant. Mineral oil, being non plant based, doesn't go rancid. I say pretend, because I've never applied enough coats to fully seal the wood, and the portion that is constantly exposed to damp substrate does, indeed start to break down.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Spray in bed liner . You can buy it at Home Depot in a spray can for nine dollars. Just let it dry tell the smell is gone . You could fill it with water after your finished and nothing will happen to the wood .

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: Tortoise-friendly wood sealant

Cowboy_Ken said:
The product Mike is mentioning is, I believe a black product.

They have it in clear to . I used the clear in my red footed table . Worked great . I sprayed it in and let it set for a week. It held up fine . But red foots grow quickly. Not in size but in numbers .haha you will see . Now they are to big for a tortoise table . I have an outdoor enclosure set up . Winter I keep them in my heated garage .

navycop2004

Oregon
Re: RE: Tortoise-friendly wood sealant

They have it in clear to . I used the clear in my red footed table . Worked great . I sprayed it in and let it set for a week. It held up fine . But red foots grow quickly. Not in size but in numbers .haha you will see . Now they are to big for a tortoise table . I have an outdoor enclosure set up . Winter I keep them in my heated garage .
So you have used the clear spray liner for your redfoots? I was just going to use linseed oil unless the above mentioned product is better

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So you have used the clear spray liner for your redfoots? I was just going to use linseed oil unless the above mentioned product is better
This thread is nine years old.

There is no good way to protect wood from water. None of the store bought options work.

Best to use plastic building materials, like expanded PVC sheets instead of wood.

If you must use wood, order up some Pond Shield, or get some non-toxic primer and paint made for boat hulls.