Tortoise has green on its mouth?!?

Reagan

Location (City and/or State)
New Hampshire
I've noticed lately that my 7mo Eastern Hermann's has green on her mouth, what is causing this and is this usual?!?IMG_0960.JPG

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Yes, I'd imagine it's nothing to worry about unless you never feed your tortoise anything green. Then there might be a problem!

GingerLove

5 Year Member
It sounds like all the food is great except the romaine lettuce. I personally have never fed my tortoise romaine lettuce because I've heard a lot of bad things about it. However, some may argue the same thing with cucumber and zuchinni, but my tortoise has never had a problem with either of those foods! Your baby tortoise is adorable!!!!!!!! And I love the little green mouth. ;)

Reagan

New Hampshire
It sounds like all the food is great except the romaine lettuce. I personally have never fed my tortoise romaine lettuce because I've heard a lot of bad things about it. However, some may argue the same thing with cucumber and zuchinni, but my tortoise has never had a problem with either of those foods! Your baby tortoise is adorable!!!!!!!! And I love the little green mouth. ;)

Thank you! Lately I haven't been feeding the romaine, so thanks for letting me know!:)

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby

What have you heard that's bad about Romaine?

GingerLove

5 Year Member
What have you heard that's bad about Romaine?[/QU
What have you heard that's bad about Romaine?

I heard something about it being not nutritious and never to feed it to my Russian on a regular basis. But now I'm looking it up and everything says the opposite. @Reagan, I could be wrong! I know someone's told me that it wasn't good, but perhaps they were wrong! @cmac3 , do you feed your tort's romaine? How do they react?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I heard something about it being not nutritious and never to feed it to my Russian on a regular basis. But now I'm looking it up and everything says the opposite. @Reagan, I could be wrong! I know someone's told me that it wasn't good, but perhaps they were wrong! @cmac3 , do you feed your tort's romaine? How do they react?
Yes I do feed it on occasion, And I really vary their diet. I don't see anything wrong with Romaine.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Yes I do feed it on occasion, And I really vary their diet. I don't see anything wrong with Romaine.
I too feed Romaine on occasion. As lettuces go, it's one of the better ones. However, it shouldn't be the main part of the diet as it lacks nutrients and fibre.

Iceberg is all water and should be avoided completely.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Cool! Thanks everyone, I think I'm going to feed my tort some romaine today!! Hear that, @Reagan? Romaine is okay! Sorry for misleading you! :)