Tortoise has slept for some time!

mattyd

For a while now my male tortoise has being asleep, he usually is ok and quite active but for some weeks now he doesn't seem to come out for food and if i encourage him out he won't eat or maybe just has a nibble and goes back hiding , why is this? Don't want him getting ill etc his temps are ok and he has a fluorescent tube type uv light and a separate heat lamp , he's around 6-7 years , and I think maybe his enclose could be a little bigger , I will be sorting a slightly bigger enclosure as soon as I can

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
temperatures always the first suspect in a case like this. what are yours?

mattyd

Through the night lights off so around 69•F and through the day around 13hours 90•F

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
sounds good and refresh my memory what species?

mattyd

Russian make around 4 - 5 inch long 3 inch wide , closure is 3ft by 2ft

CanadianTestudo

5 Year Member
^ Not too hot if the basking spot is 90f but the rest of the enclosure is cooler ( like 75f or something similar). 3x2 is rather small, try for something with double that floor space. My russian is quite inactive at this time of the year as well (she always is over the summer when it gets too hot outside and my parents don't turn on the AC inside). In the wild they estivate over the summer months when it gets too hot. If that is what your tortoise is doing and you want him to wake up, you need the ambient air temperature to drop. Basking spot can still be at 90f but the general temperature of the cage needs to be cooler.