tortoise head shape

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
1 things that was in the book and is obvious when pointed out is that the heat and light should come from same spot and at 1 end of your indoor house. Also temp best from 33deg under heat to 27deg at cool darker end where the hide should be. There ideal temp is 30deg so with this range they can find there own ideal thermal body temp. Also it confirmed to me 2 things, humidity is not as important as damp substrate. As long as substrate is moist(not wet through) they will be ok. You here a lot saying must be 90%+. Mine is between 70 and 85% but have moist substrate. When my 3 juveniles come out in the morning they always have damp carapace from burying into the substrate. I check for shell rot every few days. And the other thing the book confirmed to me was to feed animals for protein. Like mealworms, butterworms and pinky mice. They get other nutrients and calcium off of natural animal foods. I,d better stop waffling on or you'll not need to buy the book:)

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
1 things that was in the book and is obvious when pointed out is that the heat and light should come from same spot and at 1 end of your indoor house. Also temp best from 33deg under heat to 27deg at cool darker end where the hide should be. There ideal temp is 30deg so with this range they can find there own ideal thermal body temp. Also it confirmed to me 2 things, humidity is not as important as damp substrate. As long as substrate is moist(not wet through) they will be ok. You here a lot saying must be 90%+. Mine is between 70 and 85% but have moist substrate. When my 3 juveniles come out in the morning they always have damp carapace from burying into the substrate. I check for shell rot every few days. And the other thing the book confirmed to me was to feed animals for protein. Like mealworms, butterworms and pinky mice. They get other nutrients and calcium off of natural animal foods. I,d better stop waffling on or you'll not need to buy the book:)
I just ordered through Amazon with my gift card :) I'm anxious to receive it!!

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
That's another interesting thing you just reminded me of...she'll rot!!! I never kept my tortoise in very wet/damp conditions due to the dreaded shell rot!! My one tortoise I got had very minor issues, but that was upon buying my tortoise. I forgot to answer your question earlier, I bought two tortoises when they were at least five years old I want to say, the other one maybe 2 years old, & my last redfoot was a baby.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
There's a good paragraph on shell rot in the book. I don't want to ruin the book for you. I couldn't put it down once I started to read it.
So how big are your 5 yr old torts.

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Roseville, Minnesota

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Well let me get a tape measure. I bought my first one I'd say she was 5 years old in 2008, that's just a guess?! But I could be way off :oops:. How big are your tortoises? Let me measure & I'll get back with you :)

I'm looking forward to the book!!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
My 7 adults go from 7.5" to 10.5" in carapace length. The 7.5" is a male cherryhead redfoot all the others are redfoots. They are supposedly age from 5 to 8yrs, but i'll never know that for certain. Then my 3 juveniles are from may last year(2014), so about 8 months old, all at approx 3" and still smooth at this point. :)

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Well my torts are huddled right now & I don't want to bother them so I will get back with you on the size. I do know my largest redfoot that I bought in 2008 that I think was about 5 yrs old is now about 12 inches. The next larger one is about 10", 8" & about 5."