tortoise head shape

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Happy New year to you all, I assume everyone is in 2015 now.

I have 7 adult redfoots, I have rescued these from various different places. Except for 2 of them they all have a different shape head. Is this normal, does this mean that there bloodline comes from different areas in the wild. Has anyone who has been successful in breeding any type of tortoise over a few years noticed if they follow the same shape head through the same bloodline. 2 of mine that are sisters both look identical, they have almost the look of an evil snake. The last one I got has an extremely wide head. His jaw bone below his ears is very wide, I was reading about when torts get an ear infection this area can swell. I've had him 2 weeks now, he seems ok and not in pain and it definitely is not effecting his appetite, he's a right greedy sod, And his jaw is solid like bone as you would expect it to be. I have another female she has a head that when you look from above she looks like a toad/frog. Are they like humans and pass on physical genetic similarities. If so it will be interesting if I ever get to the breeding stage.

Thank You

Craig

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Craig:

I've never noticed this phenom before. It would be interesting to see pictures of what you're talking about.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi Craig:

I've never noticed this phenom before. It would be interesting to see pictures of what you're talking about.
Ok will get some photos later when I get home. So do all your yf have the same facial look.

puffy137

To tell the truth, I've never studied their faces/heads before. When I go out later this a.m. I'll have to give them a good once-over.
My herd are all related , & apart from various colour shades they all look very similar.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Each of the tortoise and even turtles here have their own head shape/variable to that general shape, eye set, mouth size and such....yes, they can be very different while being the same.....the California Desert Tortoise here are very different in their head shapes.....

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Have some photos of 4 of my torts here. Front,side and top views. Photos are not that good because the supposedly quality iPhone is rubbish at taking photos with moving images. Good old Samsung is better.:) Also I don't think the photos give full justice to how different my torts look. photo 3.JPG photo 3 (2).JPG photo 5.JPG photo 1 (2).JPG photo 1.JPG photo 1 (1).JPG photo 4 (1).JPG photo 4 (1).JPG photo 2 (1).JPG photo 4.JPG photo 2 (2).JPG photo 3 (1).JPG photo 3.JPG

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
It's interesting you say this....I often wonder what kind of tortoises I have too? I've looked on the forum on the redfood section but still not sure which torts I exactly have. I've noticed mine have like a wide V shape on the lower parts on their head.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
It's interesting you say this....I often wonder what kind of tortoises I have too? I've looked on the forum on the redfood section but still not sure which torts I exactly have. I've noticed mine have like a wide V shape on the lower parts on their head.
Do you have any photos of your :tort: to show us.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Here is the top of each of my red foots head. Do you notice the V markings? My small red foot tortoise is hard to tell in this pic. But I will take frontal pics now

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Yours all have that vee. Are they all related. They look fantastic, Have you had them since juveniles. Hard to tell there size from photos. Not much pyramiding at all. How do you maintain the moisture levels?

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Excuse the messy crusty faces :) They enjoyed a nice big mazuri lunch!!image.jpg
Flapjack
image.jpg
Big Red
image.jpg
Junior
image.jpg
Speedy

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Thank you! To be honest when I got Big Red back in 2008 at a pet store, I wasn't sure what I was doing. I read the books and going on the Internet...and I came across everywhere...do not over feed red foots they will pyramid!! I always fed my tortoises once a day. I got my next red foot in 2009, another in 2010, & 2011. They are not related. They were bought at different pet stores except the first two were at the same pet store but a year apart. I always did open top home for my tortoises & provided and area where it's humid for them so they can choose to bask, be dry, or humid. Everyone has a different set up. Actually my table in nearly tore apart...I'm working on something bigger due to my torts getting too big!! I also spray my redfoods quite often!! Not sure if that helps or not but I do it it. My largest tortoise I believe is at least 12 inches. And the smallest is 5 inches maybe. But my tortoises do have pyramiding. In the summer I try my best to keep them outside as much as possible. I've been using MVB's for many years.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
What are MVB's and what do you feed for protein. Have you read THE REDFOOT MANUAL by Mike Pingleton?

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Oh sorry...MVB IS MERCURY VAPOR BULBS. No I haven't read that book, but seen great reviews! How about you?

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Protein wise, bugs in the summer, mushrooms, mazuri, boiled chicken, & hard boiled eggs usually is what I offer.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Got it for Christmas. Read it all straight away. Best book I've read up to now on redfoots.