Tortoise ID

BTgrinder

Location (City and/or State)
Orlando
Hello,

My family and I just got our baby tortoise a couple of weeks ago and per the shop he or she is a Russian Tortoise. Now I've been doing my due diligence and doing all the research I can on making sure we have a good health and happy Tortoise. Now I'm thinking that I've got a Sulcata Tortoise. I've attached a couple of pics of him. Thanks for the help.

-Billimage1.JPGIMG_2971.JPGIMG_2972.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nope, not a Russian. If you're not interested..or if you don't have a big enough yard to house a 150lb Sulcata tortoise, you might want to take it back to the pet store and trade it for a Russian.

Also, little sulcatas hatch during the monsoon season in Africa, so they grow their first few months living in hot, wet and humid conditions. That substrate you show in the picture isn't appropriate for raising baby sulcata tortoises. We have some VERY good reading for you pinned at the top of our Sulcata section.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
That's such a cute little tortoise! GOD bless.

And a very warm welcome to the forum

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
You've been had. Big difference when they grow up between a Russian and a Sulcata! Welcome to the forum. Sorry the pet store has mislead you so badly. Sulcatas are great if you have the time, money, and desire. Read the care guides, that will help you make a decision.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Very sad how pet stores run. Even if you decide to keep this sulcata, you should call the pet store and give them a very big lecture. They should not be selling tortoises if they don't know what it is. There is a great big difference between a sulcata and a Russian. Because of their stupidity, there are many sulcata the needs re homing, once they have grown much bigger then the pet store led them to believe.

BTgrinder

Orlando
Thanks everyone for your help. We called the pet shop and there was a mistake with labeling and communication with the breeder. The shop was very apologetic and is willing to help us out. Unfortunately, we won't have the ability to take care of a Sulcata and with a heavy heart we will have to return him or her. We have only had the Sulcata a couple of weeks but did have some bonding, from the pictures you can see how cute it is. On the bright side, we'll probably get a Redfoot. Thank you again for the help!