Tortoise identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amber_123

5 Year Member
Okay so this girl on my instagram found this tortoise and she is keeping it but I am not sure what kind it is or if its legal for her to own... Does anyone know what kind it is or if its legal to own in NJ? Thank you soo much. I don't want this girl getting into trouble.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1370057328.385232.jpg here's a picture. I don't personally know the girl ..

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I believe it is an ornate or eastern box turtle. If she found it in the wild and it is native to where she lives, you should try to convince her to put it back where she found it. Wild should stay in the wild! There are too many for sale to take one from the wild.

Keeblercop

5 Year Member
I'm going with Eastern Box Turtle. There are laws to owning them in states they are native too, including NJ. Some states it's illegal; some states you need a permit; some states there are limits. If she took it from the wild, I hope she puts in back. :(

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
I hope she's not keeping it in that situation in the pic. If you spell turtle "tertel," you probably shouldn't have an endangered one in your care yet. Their care is specific enough to require a bit more research than that, especially when they may be extinct one day because of humans as it is..

james1974

5 Year Member
Illinois
Its s eastern box turtle but NJ and New York very strict with there native wild life law's I would find out before you plan on keeping it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.