Tortoise Species?

BabaTorts

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas
I found a tortoise near where we are and I wanted to know what kind of tortoise it is? We found him and wanted to know if this tort is legal or not, we live in Nevada and he reminds me of a sulcata, but also a desert tortoise, but I could be wrong. Any feedback is appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20220114_142654037.jpg
    IMG_20220114_142654037.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I found a tortoise near where we are and I wanted to know what kind of tortoise it is? We found him and wanted to know if this tort is legal or not, we live in Nevada and he reminds me of a sulcata, but also a desert tortoise, but I could be wrong. Any feedback is appreciated!
Would need to see a picture from the front but I am almost certain that is a Sulcata.

BabaTorts

Las Vegas
Would need to see a picture from the front but I am almost certain that is a Sulcata.
Here are some other photos I found of him, I'm sorry if they are not the type your looking for!

Attachments

• IMG_20220107_143858969_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20220107_143858969_HDR~2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20220107_143909273~2.jpg
    IMG_20220107_143909273~2.jpg
    573.3 KB · Views: 11

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Here are some other photos I found of him, I'm sorry if they are not the type your looking for!
Yes that's a Sulcata tortoise. Definitely not native to AZ. Probably an escaped pet.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes it looks to be a sulcata. Please give him a nice warm water soak and a shallow dish of water. You can feed cactus, remove spines, dark greens from grocery store and if you have mulberry leaves, hibiscus, grass, hay, no fruit. He looks very dry.
Try to find it's owner, do not let it live in the wild, it doesn't belong there. If you can keep him and set him up outside properly great, if not rehome him.

BabaTorts

Las Vegas
Yes it looks to be a sulcata. Please give him a nice warm water soak and a shallow dish of water. You can feed cactus, remove spines, dark greens from grocery store and if you have mulberry leaves, hibiscus, grass, hay, no fruit. He looks very dry.
Try to find it's owner, do not let it live in the wild, it doesn't belong there. If you can keep him and set him up outside properly great, if not rehome him.
Thank you wellington I'll try my best to keep the tortoise or find the tortoise's owner, I'll keep this noted!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you wellington I'll try my best to keep the tortoise or find the tortoise's owner, I'll keep this noted!
Here is the correct care info. Most of the care info you find will be wrong. We've been doing it wrong for decades, and most of the tortoise world still hasn't figured this out.

Soak the baby daily in warm water for 30-40 minutes.

Keep this tortoise warm 24/7. Never below 80 degrees, even at night.