Tortoise in bedroom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocco

5 Year Member
Is it ok to have the tortoise table in your bedroom near the bed?
Can you get any desaeses from it?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Good question! You should be perfectly fine housing your tortoise in your room, even next to the bed. Just remember to always wash your hand well after handling your tortoise or it's equipment (such as food and water dishes). Also don't keep his unwashed equipment near food handling/prep areas. No different then you should with any animal's stuff. :cool: Turtles and tortoises do have the reputation as carriers of Salmonella. So keep that in mind.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I have two 40 gal breeder tanks in my bedroom on my dresser. Both have box turtle hatchlings. I don't like the dark, so I have a few night lights in my room, and sometimes in the middle of the night I open one eye and will see someone staring at me and watching me sleep. Creepy, but not dangerous.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I grew up with animal cages and aquariums literally surrounding my bed and taking up every available square inch. I had enclosures stacked on top of enclosures and other enclosures under the fish tanks.

I think you will be fine with a tortoise table in the bedroom.

terryo said:
I have two 40 gal breeder tanks in my bedroom on my dresser. Both have box turtle hatchlings. I don't like the dark, so I have a few night lights in my room, and sometimes in the middle of the night I open one eye and will see someone staring at me and watching me sleep. Creepy, but not dangerous.

Haha... That made me laugh Terry. I had a salt water aquarium on the dresser next to my bed and one morning after a late teenager night I awoke to find my dogface puffer staring at me. I stared back for a moment and then IT happened. He WINKED at me. No joke. I'm not lying. Fish don't have eyelids, so I know this was not possible. Later I found out that some of the puffers in this family are capable of this sort of "winking". Still I was afraid I was hallucinating there for a moment...

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Cooper sleeps right next to my bed, that way he can hit the glass front with his shell to wake me up when he wants to get out, no matter what time it is! Lol! :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You guys are making me laugh...really hard....I have a very vivid imagination and have pictured this all.....LOVE LOVE LOVE it :D

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I live in a studio apartment so my bedroom is the only room! it is also the kitchen, dining room, and living room! my bookcase tortoise enclosures are right next to my bed. It makes you keep it clean so it doesn't smell and there's no bugs!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
terryo said:

Hmmm...likely plotting something outrageous... ;)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Healthwise, your biggest risks are probably from dust, mold, and so forth in the feces, old food, substrates, plants, and materials used than anything from the animals.

EKLC

5 Year Member
some people are allergic to soil, so make sure this isn't the case

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That should be fine! Good hand washing after handling a tort is always a good idea, but location should not matter, as you can see from these other very amusing posts.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
terryo said:
I just read this so I had to comment. I go to bed early cause I have to get up at 5am. But my wife is up all night most the time and she says Cooper will come out of his hide and just stare at me for up to 2 hours sometimes. And if I move he will perk up for a minute. I would love to know what is going thru that little head of his! Lol! :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
This is a quote from Tom at Turtle Tails (my favorite site for box turtles).
"A specimen turtle is an animal in a cage on a shelf in a storage room somewhere. A pet turtle is a turtle you live with. A pet turtle you live with has a much more interesting and enjoyable environment. Watching you is part of their entertainment."

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
my tortoise has always been in my bedroom, and im perfectly fine haha, health wise anyways.

alsooo your son takes beautiful pictures.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
My 2 small radiated tortoises are in my bedroom and my incubator with eggs in it. The only thing that has happend to me is,,,,,,,, I was bitten by the tortoise bug and I cant quit buying them:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
terryo said:
This is a quote from Tom at Turtle Tails (my favorite site for box turtles).
"A specimen turtle is an animal in a cage on a shelf in a storage room somewhere. A pet turtle is a turtle you live with. A pet turtle you live with has a much more interesting and enjoyable environment. Watching you is part of their entertainment."

Tom, at Turtle Tails, sums it up really well... :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.