Tortoise in shock.

SouthernComfort

Location (City and/or State)
Cape Town
This morning a cat got to my tortoise. From what I can see there are no injuries but my tortoise has been wedged in her shell for almost an hour. I think she’s in shock. Her legs are out and mostly lip although sometimes they twitch and her head is buried deep inside.
occasionanlly she moves her head to the side and I can see that her eyes are closed and there is saliva around her mouth. She keeps making gasping squeak sounds. She is mildly more alert than she was but it still doesn’t look good.
I was hoping someone had advice on what I could do. I’ve moved her to a quiet shady spot, with her favourite treat nearby to entice her come out.
thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just leave her be. She'll come around. And time for a cat proof enclosure...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
FYI..That is the very first time I have heard about a cat attacking a tort in 20 years.... Most times they ignore the tortoise...follow Tom's advice...100_1175.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sounds like maybe the cat scratched or bit someplace on the tortoise's head, maybe an eye? Just wait a bit for the pain to subside and he'll come out so you can give his head a closer inspection.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Sounds awful. Hope your tortoise is ok and no harm done.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
This morning a cat got to my tortoise. From what I can see there are no injuries but my tortoise has been wedged in her shell for almost an hour. I think she’s in shock. Her legs are out and mostly lip although sometimes they twitch and her head is buried deep inside.
occasionanlly she moves her head to the side and I can see that her eyes are closed and there is saliva around her mouth. She keeps making gasping squeak sounds. She is mildly more alert than she was but it still doesn’t look good.
I was hoping someone had advice on what I could do. I’ve moved her to a quiet shady spot, with her favourite treat nearby to entice her come out.
thank you.
It's sounds like your tortoise may have been upside down for an extended period of time and possibly overheated. Any update?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
How big is the cat compared to the tortoise? Any pics?