tortoise isn't eating or drinking

turtlehurdle123

hi, it's been nearly a week and my tortoise hasn't come out of hiding, eaten anything, and didn't drink any water. I've only soaked her once 2 days ago. Is this normal? Should I be concerned? Thanks.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Welcome to TFO. :)

What kind of tort do you have?

It can take weeks, sometimes months, for a tort to get used to new surroundings so please don't panic. Some can be very slow on the uptake. :)

Establish a routine so your tort learns that things are safe. I suggest starting the day:
- lights on first thing
- soak for a good 20 minutes which ensures your tort gets used to handling and, most important, doesn't become dehydrated
- feed
- walk away and resist the temptation to stand and watch. You are big and intimidating- without you your tort is more likely to feel brave and explore.

Your setup is also important to activity and eating. Pictures of the enclosure and lighting will help us diagnose any problems. We also need to know the 4 important temperatures (warm end, cool end, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum) and what you are feeding your tort.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum.

No, do not worry: torts take long, very long to get used to a NEW place, climate, environment, enclosure, OWNER and the rest. Eventually it will eat and drink.
I advise you to read the care sheets, and threads which will certainly help you. And ask ANY question whenever in doubt or worried. The experts here will help.

How about posting pics? These too will enable the experienced members to help you and give you advise. Good luck.

turtlehurdle123

Welcome to TFO. :)

What kind of tort do you have?

It can take weeks, sometimes months, for a tort to get used to new surroundings so please don't panic. Some can be very slow on the uptake. :)

Establish a routine so your tort learns that things are safe. I suggest starting the day:
- lights on first thing
- soak for a good 20 minutes which ensures your tort gets used to handling and, most important, doesn't become dehydrated
- feed
- walk away and resist the temptation to stand and watch. You are big and intimidating- without you your tort is more likely to feel brave and explore.

Your setup is also important to activity and eating. Pictures of the enclosure and lighting will help us diagnose any problems. We also need to know the 4 important temperatures (warm end, cool end, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum) and what you are feeding your tort.
Hi, thanks for your advice. However, she only eats when I hand feed her and I think it's a bad habit for that. So, recently these past few days I've started to just put the food in front of her hide out in hopes that she will eat it. However, she hasn't yet. I've only soaked her once though since I got her, a 10 minute warm soak which she was trying to get out of. I take her out of the tank now for soaking into a seperate bowl now btw.
Warm End: 30 degrees Celsius
Cool End: 23 degrees Celsius
Under Basking Lamp: 33 degrees Celsius
Overnight: 23 degrees Celsius (ceramic heat emitter pointed a bit from her hideout, around the center of the enclosure)

Attachments

• setup.jpg
    setup.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 19

turtlehurdle123

A very warm welcome to the forum.

No, do not worry: torts take long, very long to get used to a NEW place, climate, environment, enclosure, OWNER and the rest. Eventually it will eat and drink.
I advise you to read the care sheets, and threads which will certainly help you. And ask ANY question whenever in doubt or worried. The experts here will help.

How about posting pics? These too will enable the experienced members to help you and give you advise. Good luck.
Thanks so much! Day 1 she was so lively and walking everywhere and then suddenly afterwards she started hiding.

sheloysius.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
This is a very common phenomenon that no one can explain, it seems.
Day one; tortoise perfectly happy, walking about and eating, then days or even weeks hiding in a corner.
Maybe the tortoise is suddenly afraid it's encroaching on another's territory, is wondering if there are predators here and if you are friend or foe.
As long as your set up is right, it will eventually come to realize that his is it's new territory and everything is okay.
She'll eat when she gets hungry enough.
Soak daily in warm water for 15 to 20 minutes.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/redfoot-temperatures.111784/
has some people's informed opinions on temperatures.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi, thanks for your advice. However, she only eats when I hand feed her and I think it's a bad habit for that. So, recently these past few days I've started to just put the food in front of her hide out in hopes that she will eat it. However, she hasn't yet. I've only soaked her once though since I got her, a 10 minute warm soak which she was trying to get out of. I take her out of the tank now for soaking into a seperate bowl now btw.
Warm End: 30 degrees Celsius
Cool End: 23 degrees Celsius
Under Basking Lamp: 33 degrees Celsius
Overnight: 23 degrees Celsius (ceramic heat emitter pointed a bit from her hideout, around the center of the enclosure)
You need to be soaking your tort daily for a good 20 minutes. This is vital when your tort isn't eating properly.

Use a high sided bowl that your tort can't see through. The water should be warm, but not hot. The water should be just deep enough to come up over his plastron (under-shell) Do it first thing in the morning before your tort warms up properly and he's more likely to relax in the water.

RedFire

Beijing,China
I guess it's humidity problem when I see the pic. Even I can not figure out what it is first time.