Concernes Russian isn't eating or drinking enough

Bailey1203

Location (City and/or State)
West Lafayette, IN
I got my Russian tortoise girl, Luna, three days ago. She didn't eat or drink much the first day, which I expected since she just moved into her new home. However, I'm concerned she's not eating or drinking enough. I soak her once a day for about 20 minutes, and she never dunks her head in. I've also never seen her go to her water dish willingly. I always have to put her in or near it, and she'll stand there for a few minutes and then turn away, not having drank anything. I've been feeding her different stuff every day, with kale being the main food. I've also fed her green pepper (she loves it), carrots, and apples (which she wouldn't touch). Her poops are consistent with her morning soak and don't seem too watery or dry. Urates have only happened once from what I can tell, and it dried up before I could see it. She's still very active and likes to move around a lot to different basking positions. Is this normal and I'm freaking out for nothing, or should I be concerned?

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Hi,
Russians don't typically drink a lot, I have had mine for a few years and have never seen them drink. I occasionally will find poop in a water dish which indicates one was drinking but I have never actually seen it. That being said you still need to offer fresh water at all times, most of us like to use a clay saucer ( like the kinds that go under planters) sunk into your substrate or dug into the ground if you are housing outdoors. Babies will need to be soaked daily but adults really only need it once a week or so. You are going to need to switch up what you are feeding, everything you mention is not suitable for a Russian and you do not want them getting use to bad foods. Please check out this care sheet for information on housing, feeding, temps etc.

https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...ise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/

Bailey1203

West Lafayette, IN
You are going to need to switch up what you are feeding, everything you mention is not suitable for a Russian and you do not want them getting use to bad foods.

I'm feeding her mostly kale, which is one of the first foods the guide lists. I had seen that peppers were ok, but I guess I was misguided. I'll switch her diet right away. Maybe she'll eat more then.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I'm feeding her mostly kale, which is one of the first foods the guide lists. I had seen that peppers were ok, but I guess I was misguided. I'll switch her diet right away. Maybe she'll eat more then.

Kale is not something that should be fed everyday. Store bought greens like spinach, kale, mustard greens, and cabbage can cause kidney issues as well as gout because of the accumulative effects of having eaten foods high in oxalic acid and goitrogens.

Check the tortoise table for more information on what type of foods can be eaten and how frequently:

And while tortoise-table is often considered overly conservative it does, however, offer a lot of good information on the foods they've taken the time to identify. Discretion is ultimately up to the owner.