Eating Substrate while Basking

Flipper

Location (City and/or State)
MO, USA
I've had Tallula for 4 weeks now :) she's a pleasure to take care of and watch! She's a Dalmation Hermann's tortoise. Approximately 6 months old.

I just saw her eating her dirt/peat substrate this am when she was basking :eek: how concerned about this should I be? Does it mean she's difficient in something or just has PICA?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It could mean she is lacking something. There is a supplement you can give them and for the life of me I can never remember the name of it. It has helped others whose torts try to eat rocks. Someone will be on soon that will know what I'm talking about and will give you the name of it. Sorry I can't remember it.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
My tortoise tries to do that too, but he never eats a lot! Not sure he likes the taste... ;) I'll go looking for that stuff because (in the beginning, not anymore) he tried to much on rocks too.

Flipper

MO, USA
I have reptivite with d3. Can I just use this more frequently? Or do I need to get the miner-all?

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Mine used to do that too. Still does sometimes when I'm slow on breakfast..but I use the repcal with d3 and the herptivite multivitamin and he has stopped mostly. Minerall is good too, but I haven't used it.

Flipper

MO, USA
Mine used to do that too. Still does sometimes when I'm slow on breakfast..but I use the repcal with d3 and the herptivite multivitamin and he has stopped mostly. Minerall is good too, but I haven't used it.
So should I sprinkle the mineral on the food or put it in a small dish for her to eat when she wants it?

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I would mix in with the food. I never "sprinkle". Littlefoot knows what I'm up to then. I make a mazuri/weed mash and mix the vitamins in. I'm tricksy.

Flipper

MO, USA
When I make mash Tallula won't eat it. She prefers her food intact :rolleyes:

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
When I make mash Tallula won't eat it. She prefers her food intact :rolleyes:

I mixed a teensy bit of canned 100% pumpkin in the mash at first and then weaned him off. Worked like a charm. Now he eats it all the time. He PREFERS lettuce and stuff, but will eat it if it's all he's got.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just sprinkle the MinerAll on top. It has a pleasant smell and all of my tortoises eat it right up.

Flipper, Are you using and "infra red" bulb or a red bulb for basking?

Flipper

MO, USA
@Tom I'm using a regular white household 100w bulb for basking and have a CHE over her humid hide at night that's on 24/7. I plan to get a merc vapor bulb once I'm not taking her out for sunshine for a few hours each week. This will be when the weather cools a bit. Unless you tell me different.

Do you think I should get the MVB now?

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Tom is asking because when people use red bulbs, sometimes torts think everything is made of treats and strawberries and they bite/ingest everything. Your lights are fine if she's getting natural UV.

Flipper

MO, USA
Here is a video I took yesterday when we were outside. BTW, I did order the miner-all :)

Please tell me if anything looks off about Tallula!