Help! My baby tortoise refuse to eat veggies

Albee vw

Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Hello everyone, I just adopted one month old baby sulcata last year, and she's 7.5 months old now. I let her consume pellets since she come to my house as the buyer told me it's enough just to feed her pellets. But I've done some research about their diet and I just knew that they need to include vegetables and grass at their daily diet. A month ago I start mixing her pellets with some greens, at first she enjoy eating veggies with pellets but day by day she only choose to eat her pellets rather than veggies, Some of my friends told me just to leave the veggies in her bowl but all ended up she ate nothing a day! and It's been a month since I tried to make her eating veggies but she still don't like them after all. Even she don't eat grass or dandelions near her when she's outdoor. I'm so concerned about her eating habits and please let me know what should I do. thank you ♥️

IMG-20200515-WA0017.jpge
Her name is Nyam nyam

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you know every plant in that picture, and have confirmed that all are safe?

What greens are you trying to feed the tortoise?

What you will need to do is mince up some of the new greens super fine, and mix in a small amount with the day's pelleted food. Start with a tiny tiny amount at first so its almost unnoticeable. Over time use more and more of the greens. Eventually, you can convert the tortoise over.

Don't worry about it if the tortoise skips a day or two, or eats light for a while. A hungry tortoise is not a picky tortoise.

Albee vw

Indonesia
Do you know every plant in that picture, and have confirmed that all are safe?

What greens are you trying to feed the tortoise?

What you will need to do is mince up some of the new greens super fine, and mix in a small amount with the day's pelleted food. Start with a tiny tiny amount at first so its almost unnoticeable. Over time use more and more of the greens. Eventually, you can convert the tortoise over.

Don't worry about it if the tortoise skips a day or two, or eats light for a while. A hungry tortoise is not a picky tortoise.

Thankyou for the reply, but actually I have tried that method for almost one month, and she still refuse to eat greens, I gave her romaine lettuce, lettuce, and mustard greens

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thankyou for the reply, but actually I have tried that method for almost one month, and she still refuse to eat greens, I gave her romaine lettuce, lettuce, and mustard greens
Then you are using too much to start with. The pics of the new stuff should be tiny, finely chopped, thoroughly mixed in so that its coated with the soaked pellet mush, and it should make up less than 1% of the bulk initially. Then, you need to be persistent. Keeping putting that same ratio out there until the tortoise eats it. Let the tortoise skip a few days if it chooses. You are not starving the tortoise if there is a big pile of good food right in front of it. A hungry tortoise is not a picky tortoise. Soak daily for an hour during this time. That will keep the GI tract moving and make the tortoise feel more hungry. It will also ensure good health and hydration on days when the tortoise is choosing to eat less.

Here is how I explain it to dog training clients that are having trouble: "If the leash was in my hands, would the dog be doing that?" The answer is always a defeated "no". Likewise, if you gave that tortoise to me, do you have any doubt that I would have it eating whatever I wanted in under a month?