Tortoise Pellets vs Fresh Veggies

Carolyn M

5 Year Member
Hi, I recently inherited a Russian tortoise who is about 15-20 years old. From what I have been told, he has been fed a diet of tortoise pellets and romaine lettuce for (what I believe) most of his life. He appears to be in relatively good health with only minor shell deformities. However, he seems to be lethargic most of the time, but it may be from being in a new environment. I have read online that a diet of fresh veggies is best so I was planning on slowly switching him to a fresh veggies diet and using TNT and cuttlebones as supplements. However, after a visit to a pet store i was informed that a pellets provide a better balanced diet. This is my first tortoise and I could really use some opinions on this matter because I can not decide what to do..

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Pet stores do this a lot.... fresh broad leaf weeds are actually best for him but it will take time to switch him over, torts are stuborn like that. Here is a weed site to help you find good safe weeds
http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/tortoise_home_1.asp
You may have to mash up the pellets and mix in with the good weeds and slowly decrease the amount.

Carolyn M

5 Year Member
Thank you! I am really worried about him. I got him Wednesday night and I haven't seen him eat or go to the bathroom yet. What should I do?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Give him time to get adjusted. Older ones usually take longer then young ones. Soak him daily in warm water until he starts to act and eat normally, keeping him hydrated is very important. It may take weeks even months, give him time. I feed my russian all kinds of mixed salad greens when he can't go outside to eat the weeds. Also, give him lots of cover in the enclosure, this really seems to bring them out of,their shell sorta speak LOL us plants like pothos, Boston ferns, hostas, some of the living lettuces they sell at the super markets work good too. Or any of the plants listed in the link lismar 79 posted.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Are they those colorful pellets or the tan ones made of hay?
The horrible colorful ones are sugary and it'll be like someone who has to stop smoking. Do it gradually.

Carolyn M

5 Year Member
I got him with the color pellets. However, he hasn't eaten much (if any of them) sense I brought him home.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Try the warm soaks, you can also give him tort favorite foods like pumpkin ( you can get the canned kind from the stores the sell for pies, but make sure it does not have sugar or spices in it) yellow squash, raddichio, dandelion flowers, and hibiscus flowers. Keep it fresh and he will eat soon enough. Try to leave him alone for the most part so he gets used to his new place.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How are you housing him? What size enclosure? What are you using for heating and lighting? UV bulb? What type? What are his four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area and night?

lismar pointed out the correct diet info. "Veggies" are not good for them. They need the right broadleaf weeds, leaves, flowers and cactus pads form safe chemical free sources. Lots and lots of variety. Those pellets are not a favorite here on this site, but most of us do like Mazuri pellets. It will take time and patience to switch this new tortoise onto a new and better diet.

Check these out for more info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Pellets are not better than fresh for the tortoises. Better for the organization that profits from selling packaged overpriced food, not for the animal. That said, some tortoises need to make the transition very slowly.

Carolyn M

5 Year Member
I have him in a glass tank that is 30"x25"x16". I have a basking light for him, but unfortunately he did not come with much supplies (including lights) so i had to order them and the UVB light has not came in yet. He has been spending the days outside to get UVB, until his light comes in. He is currently staying in a sun room which pretty much mimics the weather outside besides precipitation. I have been feeding him kale, dandelion greens, and collard greens, but as I said he is not eating anything. I also ordered a seed mix of weeds that Russian tortoises like and TNT from Carolina pet supply. i am hoping that when everything comes in things will get better.20150517_090505.jpg

Attachments

• 20150514_160354.jpg
    20150514_160354.jpg
    581.1 KB · Views: 15

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
The habitat needs a good bit of work. Please read the housing info under the russian tortoises species specific threads.

Carolyn M

5 Year Member
Can I ask what specificity should be fixed so I know what to change? I was told that the person before me kept the tortoise in this tank for most of his life. It came with everything besides the box, screen, and lights. I was given crushed walnut shells which is the substrate, and the rock which is just a regular rock (it was baked to kill bacteria and etc). The UVB light I'm waiting on is a 24" strip which should cover most of the tank. I'm also in the process of building him and outdoor enclosure for the summer. However, we have a lot of wild animals in my area. Would it be okay if I kept bringing him in at night just to be safe?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
The substrate is unsuitable. Switch to coconut coir. It needs to hold moisture and be deep enough for burrowing.

The screen blocks UVB rays.

The habitat is much too small. He may not like the change of view through it.

That hide box takes up too much space. In itself it's not bad, but it will get moldy & nasty once you upgrade & dampen the substrate.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can I ask what specificity should be fixed so I know what to change?

The world is full of all sorts of bad tortoise advice. You seem like a very nice person and a great tortoise owner. I (we) don't want to upset you or sound overly harsh, but we need to tell you what we know about how to care for these guys. This is all intended to be helpful, constructive criticism to help you give your tortoise the best life possible, which I can already tell is your goal.

Rather than type for an hour, I've already spent hours typing these threads which sort of spell it all out:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

The above threads will help, but to specifically answer a few of your concerns:
1. That enclosure is WAYYYYY too small. Even a new hatchling would be crowded in that. I start 25 gram russian hatchlings in enclosures twice that size. 4x8' is a good size for an indoor enclosure.
2. I'm guessing that the 24" strip light is your incoming UV bulb. If yes, that is great. The standard 10.0 bulbs need to be mounted within 10-12" for them to get much benefit from them. Screens will block most of the usable UV. Important note: Use that bulb, but know that you don't "need" indoor UV if your tortoise is getting regular sunshine outside. Which leads me to...
3. Housing them indoors at night and during inclement weather and in a safe secure outdoor enclosure during nice weather is a great way to do it.

Carolyn M

5 Year Member
Okay thanks!! I'll work on the enclosure, but I don't think I can do much about the size. I'll see about a tortoise table. And i am working on a large outdoor enclosure which I'm sure he'll like. I'm just worried about making too many changes too quick. I don't know how it will affect him. I saw him eat a bit of kale this morning which is good. Thank you everyone for your help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Carolyn:

In my opinion, you have it backwards. Your new tortoise should always be outside, and only be brought in during inclement weather. If he's outside, you don't need the UVB light...even on indoor days.

Carolyn M

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone. This is my first reptile and I am very excited to have him, but the initial set up is proving a little tricky, and a bit expensive. I am used to small animals like rabbits where cage size doesn't matter so much as long as they get out for exercise. Mine usually spend their days in outdoor pens so I never had to worry about indoor enclosures so much before. Once everything is set up it should be easy though. So I have decided to name him Rolo, and yes I am hoping to keep him outdoors all day during the summer, and just bring him in during poor weather and the winter. Although I know it is probably not the best for him, I am taking him to college with me this fall because my parents do not want to care for him. My school is pet friendly which is great, but he won't have a ton of room. I have a cage 1.5' by 3' picked out for him, and i will be around to get him out for exercise. The cage is usually used for rabbits, guinea pigs, etc. I have one with cages sides and one with plastic sides.. is one better than the other? I know you guys probably wouldn't approve, but i got to do what i got to do. Change of subject: For the outdoor enclosure, should I worry about getting a certain type of substrate or soil? I just have regular top soil right now and i was planning to plant weeds for him. Also does anyone know where to get coconut coir cheap? Also what would be an easy way to mount the UVB to the side (top) of the tank? Sorry about all of the questions, I should probably start a new thread hahaha.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
The habitat size you propose for college is pitifully small. That's a small closet, not a habitat. If that's really all the space you can manage, design a double decker habitat with a ramp for him. Make it modular for moving & easy to assemble & reassemble.

Have you thought through transporting him home for school breaks?

Your aim isn't merely go keep him from dying, it's to give him a good life.

Carolyn M

5 Year Member
Thanks, I do have a double decker ramp and I'll put that in. I'll keep it low so the ramp isn't very steep. I was planning on keeping an enclosure home and one there so I don't have too much to move. I will be able to have people take care of him on the weekends or short breaks so he will only have to move for major school breaks which will be like twice a year. It's been difficult sense we got him unexpectedly, and I didn't have any supplies or a good enclosure set up. I am hoping the transfer to school won't be too hard on him and I will be keeping his routine regular to make the change easier for him. I have also seen that people keep tortoises in storage bins (which I do not really like), but I figured my enclosure at school would be bigger and much nicer than that so he would be okay.