Eating behavior??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Well the new acquisition..(sulcata. 12yr old female,75+lbs) laid eggs last week... Now all she seems to do is eat and eat and eat... She's been eating an incredible amount of food for the last 5 days.....

She's just laying in front of the food eating... The only real movement I see is when she scoots around for food just out of her reach...

Is this normal??

Thoughts..

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
she needs to move. place the food out of her reach and make her walk to it..
eating is great.. but she needs to move.. hopefully she can.... is the area big enough for her to excersise? is it warm enough? or is she sitting under aheat lamp?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yep. Normal. Make sure she's getting enough calcium. I always soak mine after a clutch too to make sure they are well hydrated. They expel a lot of water during egg laying.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Laura..She was out yesterday.. But after exploring for 30minutes she headed back in... Temp in her enclosure is 88*F with basking area that's 104*F..Her indoor enclosure is 10x20... But she basically moving from hide to food..then back to hide at 5pm..

Tom... I have put her in a lg fiberglass pan I had made for her to soak.(..2ftx4ft. 2" deep) she refuses to stay in it..I leave it in her enclosure 24/7... But I haven't seen her drink... But in the last 5 days she has consumed 24 lg heads of romaine,quite a bit of collards greens, close to 5lbs of squash, 15 peppers , 5 rather lg sweet potatoes and Mazuri...

Tom do you think she has gotten enough fluids in her with all the romaine and vegetables...only alternative I have is to take the doors off the Tub and carry her heavy butt up stairs and soak in the tub...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hector, I say let her eat...she did just kick out all of those eggs and who knows if she was actually able to eat extra in preparation for the event ....you know?

The list seems long when read off like that but in actuality it is not a crazy amount of food for a 75 lb female that just laid the eggs....IMHO that is....you know I only have the little torts :)P) and all but if they were that size I think they would give Tina a run for her money....LOL :D

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Angela...I soaked her today..had to take the doors off the shower but I got her in:D
I will let her eat all she wants....I'm just amazed She has eaten quite a bit but pooped very little....

Temps hit 67 today so I let her out to walk around... She did a lot of exploring for a few hrs then headed back in..and laid in the middle of the enclosure eating the remainder of the day away...

I see a lot going in..but hardly nothing coming out..:rolleyes:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
LOL....sounds to me that you may want to get the leather gloves, flat head shovel and yard rake....you are likely going to need them when she does..... :p:p:p:p:p

YAY !!!! I was hoping you would go for lugging her into the bathroom tub for a good ole soak....but did not want to admit the silliness I also would have gone through if need be :D:D:D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.