Female sulcata ..strange behavior?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I could line the bottom of her hide with a tarp.. Put a 2x6 at the entrance to keep the dirt in..and make a ramp.... That will give her 5.75" inches of dirt would that be enough?? Will she lay in her hide box?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Tony the tank said:
I could line the bottom of her hide with a tarp.. Put a 2x6 at the entrance to keep the dirt in..and make a ramp.... That will give her 5.75" inches of dirt would that be enough?? Will she lay in her hide box?

I can only answer "maybe". I just dug up a nest this afternoon. It was around 18" deep. I don't know what she would do if she dug down 5.75" and hit something solid.

Where are all the other keepers from the frozen north? PM KBaker and ask him what he does. He's a good guy and he has adult sulcatas in a frozen winter area. Sorry man, this is just out of my area of expertise.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Well I appreciate all the help... Going to be in the mid 40 this Sunday... Might let her out.. Hopefully she will nest quickly and I can box her and put a heater in while she finishes digging and laying like I did last time..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Tony the tank said:
Well I appreciate all the help... Going to be in the mid 40 this Sunday... Might let her out.. Hopefully she will nest quickly and I can box her and put a heater in while she finishes digging and laying like I did last time..

Mine often lay in the winter here and sometimes on a really cold day it drags on into the night. I usually rig a heat lamp over the female while she finishes up her duties. Often it drops into the 30's here at that time of night, soooooo you plan sounds like a good one to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.