Tortoise living with domestic cats

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
What a lovely reply and a great little story. I love the names by the way. I like to believe that my little fur babies are free spirits. They never pee in the house or anything so we kind of just let them do what they want for the most part. I will want the same for tort too, so I think I'll just let nature play out as one should and only step in if and when needs be.

Our cats..Chester (Chewy for short) and Stitchface are both the kind that like to show off their catch and present it to us like a gift rather than catch and kill, if that makes sense? I'm confident and hopeful that this will stand when we introduce a different kind of baby to the family.
Semore got his name because he was a stray and we wanted to "see more" of him lol, if we're talking 10 years ago I was 11 and my siblings are 5 and 4 years younger than me so my mum came up with it. Then I was completely uncreative with Franklin, I thought I was being cute naming him after the kid cartoon... until I found out EVERYONE does that! Plus I never call him Franklin its always "nank" or "nay-nay" its only Franklin when he's doing something really silly/dumb.
Does your Stitchface have any story with that name? or did it just happen? seems like there could be quite the story behind it.
Semore, when still outside always caught and dropped stuff off for us right at our front or back door. We'd catch him playing often though, its like he kept bopping the little critters and was sad when they stopped playing too. Once I did rescue a young chipmunk from him, it was too little for me to not! Now that he's inside he could care less about prey, although he sits in windows watching wildlife intently lol.

Spannerz

Stitchface was named by my Husband, we are both big fans of The Simpsons and "Stitchface" is what Homer names the ball given to him as a gift. Stitch also has a little white patch on his forehead so it's quite fitting for him. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410537956.438237.jpg

You can just see his little patch on the pic :)

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
I have two RagaMuffins, Aria & Mia, who are still under 8 months old and my redfoot herd consisting of 8 tortoises 2yrs and younger.

The smaller kitten, Mia, just watches my largest torts in their enclosure sometimes. Doesn't seem to have any interest in the other 2enclosures.

My older kitten on the other hand has figured out how to break into an enclosure I made myself with a plexiglass top. I've yelled and squirted her the times I've found her looking at me awkwardly from inside. I could tell on several occasions it has happened while I was at work. (Moss stuck in her poofy tail is a dead giveaway) She doesn't seem to care about or brother the torts though. I'm almost positive she is looking in the food bowl hoping for leftovers of that delicious Mazuri. I call her a fat kitten because she's always meowing to beg for wet food when dry is always available to her. Anyway, I plan to fix her access to the enclosure with time to be safe. I've been unsuccessful with a couple methods so far... but there's my kitten experiences! :)

M

Maggie Cummings

I have 2 cats and neither cares about the tortoises. Lil Roxie is pretty old and she likes to sleep under a basking light. But if the tort starts walking around Roxie's gone.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I know someone who knows someone who's tort was stolen by a cat....

M

Maggie Cummings

This kitten was born outside in the tort pen. Her and two brothers. This Kitty in paticular fell in love with my Spunky, She'd sit and watch him for hours. I'm like Ms. Jackie in the way of I have feral cats and house cats indoor/outdoor, with the exception of one, Who Absolutely will NOT go outside :rolleyes: (The only cat I've ever had that refused the outside world.) I've Never even once had an incident. The kittens once grown lost all interest. When they were little they'd chase each other ( the kittens of course ) LOL, around and inside, the outside enclosures, I never recall the tort or torts being phased by it, in any way.
What a great picture....

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
just thought I'd add this from way back to my first day with franklin, this is the only time the cat ever let him do this (while closely supervised of course. I just wanted to see how they'd react)
394687_3996904317170_674950952_n.jpg

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Oh maaaaaan. That is just too cute!!
I KNOW RIGHT! if only the cat would put up with it now... but then again I know being burrowed against hurts and it must pull out little kitty hair. He's my family cat so I may have my own when I have a place and if I have a kitten raised around him they'd probably get along, supervised of course though

Spannerz

I would totally love it if my tort and my fur babies would snuggle.. Watch this space I guess!!