Tortoise Nail Trimming

zovick

10 Year Member!
I think my tort‘s nails are start to grow kinda long. Would I cut these and if I do how, and would I need something special?IMG_1103.heic
You should be able to use a pair of human nail clippers unless your tortoise is huge in size. Just be careful not to cut into the quick which is the whiter area of the nail closer to the foot.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I think my tort‘s nails are start to grow kinda long. Would I cut these and if I do how, and would I need something special?IMG_1103.heic
Tortoise nails seldom need trimming. What species are we talking about? Age and size? Male or female? Front or back nails? Many females grow long back nails to help with nest digging and egg deposition.

If you do decide to cut them, know that tortoise nails tend to be MUCH harder than dog or cat nails, and much more difficult to cut.

Try to get your pic to show before cutting. At the bottom left corner of the box where I am typing is a box that says "Attach files" with a little paper clip. If you click on that, you should be able to choose your pic and attach it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If it's a Russian or a leopard, they're nails are long naturally. No trimming is necessary.