Tortoise Nest Temperature Data Collection

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
I don't know how to get them to you, but it would be AMAZING, if we could figure out a way to do this same thing in your garden. I see far more value in that for the Chersina project than doing it here in my area of Southern California. It will be great to see what happens with temperatures in the ground here, but it would be even better to see what temps do in an area that actually hatches Chersina in their native range!

@Markw84 is there a way to ship some data loggers to Carol? I'll pay for the loggers and shipping.

@CarolM would you be willing to dig some holes and bury some data loggers for a year?
Absolutely.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
as far as "looking the same " what is meant by that is the overall appearance of the graphs even though they are from different parts of the world , with temp swings being largest near the beginning of the middle third , and the average temp consistently rising with smaller deviation between daily highs and lows being in the beginning and the end ………. I've never seen these tortoise ones , I've seen many for painted turtles , snapping turtles , box turtles , blanding's turtles , na wood turtles , spotted turtles , soft shell turtles …….. many of those studies were done in studying temp sex determination ..….. a blanding's one I remember was done here by me on the effects of nesting in soybean and corn fields , the turtles nest early in the spring and the crop grows and shades/cools their nest …na wood turtles was about providing artificial embankments for them to nest in … painted turtles had a pretty extensive study done by the university of Illinois …… I seen one on blanding's using roadsides to nest and what affect it had on sex ratios as they are microclimates of there own …… the graph for the speckled tortoise has at temp swings at one point of 40 degrees , box turtle nest can swing close to that , I've seen 35 degrees here by me …. there is a 20 degree swing in highs in a matter of 3-4 days for the speckled tortoise , box turtle nest I've seen reported to swing 18 degrees in highs in a 2 day period …….. they look similar to me in how erratic they can be ……. I do pay more attention to the ground temp and river temp in my area than most people ……… I do have some pdf's , not sure how to get the graphs off them or attach them ?I have one for smooth softshell nests on the cedar river in iowa , the nest are in a sandbar , at one point there is a 36 degree change in temp in 12 hours , the graph is similar to others i've seen with the largest swings in the beginning middle and the average temps consistently rising …… I don't pay much attention or look for nest here , I do put temp probes in hibernacula every year , don't record temps , but I check them often ……… I actually think what your doing will provide good information ……...

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
sure - we can ship to @CarolM Costs about $36 to mail to South Africa - the same way and package I used to ship to you, @Tom. The logger is about $22 A Sensorpush is $49 here, not sure what they cost Carol there.
The Sensor Push may work, Carol, but you would have to be sure excess moisture does not ruin it buried in the ground. I would put it in a good ziplock baggie to test it for a few weeks. so the humidity reading would be of no use as it is enclosed in a baggie. The nice part of that sensorpush would be that you still should be able to get a good Bluetooth reading at the shallow depth of a chersina nest without digging it up. Also nice that you could also just email me a download file and we could compile data as we go.

Thoughts?? @Tom @CarolM @Sterant

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
sure - we can ship to @CarolM Costs about $36 to mail to South Africa - the same way and package I used to ship to you, @Tom. The logger is about $22 A Sensorpush is $49 here, not sure what they cost Carol there.
The Sensor Push may work, Carol, but you would have to be sure excess moisture does not ruin it buried in the ground. I would put it in a good ziplock baggie to test it for a few weeks. so the humidity reading would be of no use as it is enclosed in a baggie. The nice part of that sensorpush would be that you still should be able to get a good Bluetooth reading at the shallow depth of a chersina nest without digging it up. Also nice that you could also just email me a download file and we could compile data as we go.

I have done quick tests with Sensorpush units underground. I used a very small tupperware container upside down. I used the double faced tape that comes with the unit to stick it inside the upside down tupperware container and I buried it. The tupperware acts like a diving bell trapping air inside so the sensor is exposed to the temperature and humidity without directly touching the dirt or being soaked when it rains. I don't know if this will somehow introduce an error into the study, but it's worth a try.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have done quick tests with Sensorpush units underground. I used a very small tupperware container upside down. I used the double faced tape that comes with the unit to stick it inside the upside down tupperware container and I buried it. The tupperware acts like a diving bell trapping air inside so the sensor is exposed to the temperature and humidity without directly touching the dirt or being soaked when it rains. I don't know if this will somehow introduce an error into the study, but it's worth a try.
That's pretty ingenious. I'd be willing to give it a try.

Will it work with Bluetooth on my phone and store data until my phone comes into range? That would be ideal, and we'd get data immediately instead of waiting a year. Further, the humidity data is of great interest to me here, especially due to my ultra dry climate.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Mark, if you'll get some more data loggers and calibrate them, I'll send you the money immediately for international postage and the cost of the loggers. $66+$36 = $102. I'll mail or PayPal it ASAP. Text me the mailing or PayPal address whenever you are ready.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

Cool. I will try the sensor push for a while and see what measurements it gives. Until the data loggers come.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
More than one method is always good. And we can get readings without digging it up.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I am not currently home at the momment but will bury the sensor push once home. I will need to clear the current data on it first, so there is no confusion and then we can start recording.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Mark, if you'll get some more data loggers and calibrate them, I'll send you the money immediately for international postage and the cost of the loggers. $66+$36 = $102. I'll mail or PayPal it ASAP. Text me the mailing or PayPal address whenever you are ready.
Just note that it takes a long time for things to get here. [emoji85]

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY

Will it work with Bluetooth on my phone and store data until my phone comes into range? That would be ideal, and we'd get data immediately instead of waiting a year. Further, the humidity data is of great interest to me here, especially due to my ultra dry climate.
Mine was buried about 4" down and I could still connect via Bluetooth, so we should be able to read data real-time.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
I'll happily split the cost with you Tom.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Okay. Sensor push in the ground. Buried it in a tupperware, inside a ziplock bag. Buried it very close to where my female normally lays her eggs.
11cm down. View attachment 259758View attachment 259759View attachment 259760View attachment 259761View attachment 259762View attachment 259763
Carol - If you want humidity data (which we do) you should get rid of the zip-lock bag and remove the top of the tupperware. Just bury the tupper ware container upside-down with the sensor inside so the ground air can get to the sensor......unless you're just testing connectivity for now.

Last edited:

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Carol - If you want humidity data (which we do) you should get rid of the zip-lock bag and remove the top of the tupperware. Just bury the tupper ware container upside-down with the sensor inside so the ground air can get to the sensor......unless you're just testing connectivity for now.
Ahh. Okay. I will leave it as it is for an hour and then take a reading to see connectivity and then do as you have advised above.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Is it deep enough? I haven't measured how deep they bury their eggs. There is currently an egg in the ground there, but I don't want to dig it up as I won't be able to put it back correctly nor have I had any success with artificial incubation. I tried burying it as close to what I remember previous depths were when I observed them laying.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Ahh. Okay. I will leave it as it is for an hour and then take a reading to see connectivity and then do as you have advised above.
Okay. The reading when underground in the bag. 1st and second is the hour reading. 3rd the day reading.
I have now taken it out of the bag and placed it directly on the soil with the Tupperware over for protection. And will take another reading in about an hour or two.Screenshot_20181217-172329_SensorPush.jpegScreenshot_20181217-172358_SensorPush.jpegScreenshot_20181217-172419_SensorPush.jpeg20181217_172559.jpeg20181217_172606.jpeg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)

All you do is download the Sensorpush app on your iPhone. To sync the sensor, you simply click to add a sensor and then hold the sensor over the iPhone screen. It syncs then automatically. I have 13 sensors synced to mine all in the one app with a list on the first screen.

All you have to do is be within Bluetooth range and the app will download data to your iPhone. It does store up to 20 days worth of data in the device itself, so if you are not in Bluetooth range for a week or two, it will upload that past data to your phone next time you are in range. The app on your phone stores data for as long as you want - years if you want.

I have already ordered 3 more for Carol. They should be here Wednesday. I will calibrate and set data intervals and mail to Carol then.

Payment? How about next time I come down you buy me a lunch? Whenever I meet Dan he can by me a drink! I'm interested in this data too!